It’s a miracle! Netflix’s hit comedy “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” returns for Season 2 on Friday, but the show will be a little different. Kimmy is still adjusting to life outside the bunker she was held hostage in for years, but she’ll have more help. She has a solid group of friends, a love life and a therapist that will make the next 13 episodes very interesting. Find out what you need to know about the new episodes:
1. Family Vibes – As Lillian (Carol Kane), Titus (Titus Burgess) and Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) live with each other longer, they’re becoming more tight-knit. “I seem to feel that it’s my responsibility to share my years of learning with them, to try and help take care of them,” Kane told Entertainment Weekly. “I guess that is the spinoff result of the fact that the three of us really have become more of a family, I think. The longer we live together and the closer we become, the more we know about each other’s strengths and weaknesses, it becomes sort of natural for me to try and be the mother in some way.”
2. Another Pinot Noir – Lillian will even be involved with Titus’ follow up to “Peeno Noir.” It seems another catchy song is on the way. “I also have a nice lovely song with Titus that I enjoyed,” Kane said. “But I was so nervous to do because that voice is just like so crazy. It’s so extraordinary and suddenly sets this very high bar to match.”
Watch the trailer for “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” Season 2 below:
3. Kimmy’s Past – Though Kimmy acts very upbeat, she has a pretty dark history. The character will start going to therapy to deal with her issues, which will be helpful when the Reverend (Jon Hamm) makes his return. However, her baggage isn’t just about being kidnapped. Kimmy and her mother have a troubled relationship, too. “She obviously had a very traumatic experience in the bunker, but she did lead a life before that, and I think she’s trying to unpack what went on there,” Kemper told the New York Times.
4. Love Interests – While Jaqueline’s (Jane Krakowski) marriage is ending, Titus, Kimmy and even Lillian are all going to be involved in romances. Will all of them be able to find love?
5. A New Nemesis – A clip introduces Deirdre (Anna Camp), Jacqueline’s new competition. “I can never tell if you’re trying to help me or destroy me,” Jacqueline laughs. Watch the sneak-peek video from “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” Season 2 below:
6. Celebrity Cameos – As previously reported, Anna Camp isn’t the only well-known actor stopping by the show. Jeff Goldblum and Zosia Mamet will appear. Producer Tina Fey will also guest star, but she will not play Marcia Clark as she did last year.
7. Longer episodes – Since the show was originally made for NBC, the Season 1 episodes didn’t go very far over the 22 minute mark. However, showrunner Robert Carlock explained that they’ll take advantage of the lack of time constraints this year. “It’s still Kimmy’s show, for sure,” he told the Hollywood Reporter. “But, in part, having that extra time allowed us to make sure we were telling some weightier Titus stories and get into some things that we didn’t have the runway to do in the first 13.”
8. Cliffhangers – The good news: Season 3 has already been ordered! The bad news: that means the season finale will have some cliffhangers. “We do have, going into Season 3, some big motors and some stuff to deal with,” Carlock revealed. “Some having to do with Kimmy’s past, Titus’ present and Jacqueline’s future, and Lillian as well has an interesting new opportunity presented to her in the final episode. All of which will be really fun to pick up in Season 3.”
“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” Season 2 will be released on Netflix Friday, April 15.