The U.S. embassy in Cairo, Egypt has resumed normal operations on Friday, citing improvement just over three months after massive protests developed into a revolution which toppled President Hosni Mubarak and left nearly 850 people dead.
The U.S. State Department's latest travel alert lifts the ordered departure status, which had been in effect since February 1. The status calls for all non-emergency U.S. government and personnel and their families to depart from Egypt.
The Department says the embassy is open for all routine services by appointment, except for emergency assistance.
An Egyptian fact-finding commission said on April 20 that a total of 846 Egyptians were killed in 18 days of protests that saw former President Hosni Mubarak step down.
The Department warned that there was the possibility of sporadic unrest, given that Egyptian security services had not yet fully redeployed.
It aslo called on U.S. citizens to respect existing curfew hours of 2:00 a.m. to 5: a.m.
Citizens were urged to avoid all demonstrations in Egypt as even peaceful ones can quickly become violent and a foreigner could become a target of harassment or worse.
The highest ranking State Department official, Secretary Hillary Clinton met with Egyptians on her last trip to the embassy on March 6, where she also toured Tahrir square, the site of massive demonstrations.