The day that “Vampire Diaries” fans have been waiting for is here. On Thursday, Oct. 2, the hit supernatural series will return to the CW for its sixth season. And after the heartbreaking events that occurred in the Season 5 finale, this year’s drama is gearing up to be a jaw dropper. Catch up on what to expect in Season 6 of “The Vampire Diaries” with our spoiler roundup:
1. Episode 1 Synopsis – The premiere episode of Season 6 is titled “I’ll Remember.” Episode 1 will find Elena (Nina Dobrev) dealing with the loss of Damon (Ian Somerhalder) in an “unconventional and potentially dangerous way” – all while continuing into her sophomore year at Whitmore College. Meanwhile, Caroline (Candice Accola) will be focusing all her energy on reversing the anti-magic spell cast over Mystic Falls, and Tyler (Michael Trevino) will have a difficult time controlling his anger now that he has returned from the dead as a human. Alaric (Matt Davis) and Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) will have a hard time adjusting to the big changes, while Stefan (Paul Wesley) will trick everyone into thinking that he’s been tracking a lead on how to bring Damon and Bonnie (Kat Graham) back.
2. Time Jump – Prepare for a time jump from the Season 5 finale of “The Vampire Diaries.” Nina Dobrev revealed to Entertainment Weekly that the series will fast forward four months. This push forward will mean that the core characters have “already surpassed” the “initial shock grieving.”
“Now we’re seeing the second phase of it, which is eerily deceiving and odd,” Dobrev dished. “It’s not a very conventional way of dealing with grief.”
3. Bonnie And Damon – Where in the world is Bonnie and Damon? That’s the million dollar question. According to executive producer Julie Plec, “the mystery of where they are is an ongoing presence throughout the whole season.” However the EP was also able to tease EW that the first chapter of Season 6 will be about them trying to get home.
4. Elena Moving On – Delena fans might not want to read any further. According to TV Line, Elena will be “locking lips” with someone that is NOT Damon in episode 3 of Season 6.
5. Liv Is Sticking Around – Liv (Penelope Mitchell) and her brother, Luke (Chris Brochu), might be the ones responsible for leaving Damon stuck on the other side, but that doesn’t mean that they’ve gone into hiding to escape Elena and the others. Liv will be sticking around Whitmore in Season 6 … and may even strike up a relationship with Tyler.
“They’re going to be part of each other’s story lines,” executive producer Caroline Dries confirmed to Entertainment Weekly. “[She’s] helping him through his resisting, basically, of indulging his rage.”
6. A Caroline And Stefan Romance – Season 6 might not be the “season” that Caroline and Stefan get together. Caroline Dries explained to TV Line that Caroline doesn’t even realize “how deep her feelings are.” Meanwhile, Stefan “can’t even process or fathom the idea of another heavy, emotional connection.”
7. The Return Of Alaric – Alaric returned from the dead in the Season 5 finale of “The Vampire Diaries.” A sneak peek from the upcoming season revealed that he’s going to be following Elena and Caroline to Whitmore College – but as a professor teaching Occult Studies.
Unfortunately that doesn’t mean that all is well with Alaric. Dries revealed to HitFix that Alaric is going to have some “emotional baggage” from when he got turned into a crazy killer vampire. However he’s going to have to keep his issues internal because Elena and Jeremy need him now more than ever.
8. New Character Tripp – “Eureka” star Colin Ferguson will be joining Season 6 of “The Vampire Diaries” as Tripp, a “handsome, strong and disciplined” man who will take over the drama-ridden Mystic Falls as head of the community’s militia. The Hollywood Reporter previously teased that Tripp will act as a “surrogate father to his young trainees, who will do anything to protect his town.” E! Online recently added that one of his young trainees will be none other than Matt (Zach Roerig).
9. A Damon And Elena Reunion – Some hope does remain for Delena fans. While Ian Somerhalder told EW that Damon will bond with Bonnie, the eldest Salvatore will be doing everything in his power to return to Elena.
“He’ll go through every length to make that happen,” Somerhalder revealed. “It’s a driving force in his life. Damon doesn’t give a s--- about very much except his home, his brother, and his girl.”
“The Vampire Diaries” Season 6 will premiere on the CW on Thursday, Oct. 2, at 8 p.m. EDT. What are you excited to see unfold? Tweet your thoughts to @AmandaTVScoop.