A fight between Los Angeles Dodgers starter Zach Greinke and San Diego Padre Carlos Quentin on Thursday has sent the pitcher to the disabled list.
Greinke plunked Quentin in the arm in the bottom of the sixth innining with the Dodgers up 2-1, and the 30-year-old outfielder charged the mound. A huge scrum piled up near the mound, with both Greinke and Quentin ending up at the bottom.
Greinke fractured his left his collar bone as a result, while making the second start in his first year with the Dodgers. He signed a six-year, $147 million contract with Los Angeles in the offseason.
"I never hit him on purpose,” Greinke said after the game. “He always seem to think I'm hitting him on purpose, but that's not the case."
The chaos lasted about 10 minutes, with Los Angeles veteran announcer, Vin Scully, pointing out most players were trying to play “peacemaker.”
Continue Reading Below
Quentin has been hit a total of 41 times since 2011, and since 2008 no one has been hit more than him. He added that Greinke said something to him after the hit, and that he probably wouldn't have charged if Greinke hadn't said something.
Greinke previously hit Quentin in 2009, when they were both in the American League, but a fight was avoided then. The Dodgers ended up winning 3-2, and the two teams play again on Monday in Los Angeles.
Los Angeles All-Star outfielder Matt Kemp appeared the be the most incensed by Quentin’s charging, and he was held back by teammates. Kemp was tossed, as was Greinke, Quentin, and Dodgers third baseman, Jerry Hairston Jr.
"That's terrible for him to charge the mound like that," Kemp said. "There's no excuse for that."
The video below shows the scrap in its entirety.