A two-year-old who accidentally locked himself inside his family's vehicle was saved in the nick of time by Florida authorities and the entire incident was captured in a dramatic video.

Apollo Rubin had been shopping with his family at a local shopping center in Orlando, Florida, when the toddler snatched the car keys from his mother and locked himself in the car in the centre's parking lot.

"Went to shut the door. Apollo grabbed the key from (my wife's) hand as she shut the door," Kenneth Rubin told News 6. "We heard the click when Apollo hit the lock on the fob."

An Orlando policeman who was patrolling nearby heard the family's pleas for help.

"I said 'Hey, we locked our kid in the car. Can you give us a hand?' He called the fire department, which had a long Slim Jim," Rubin said, according to 9 News.

Rubin then recorded the video of the firefighters on his cellphone, while they kept a close eye on his son and tried get the door open without breaking the SUV'S rear window.

However, the boy began to sweat profusely after 30 minutes, prompting the firefighters to force their way inside.

One firefighter is heard saying to the family: "Well the next thing that's going to happen is he's going to be passed out and we don't want that.”

Finally, the firefighters broke a window of the SUV and pulled out the infant from inside. “The temp in the car was only about 90-something degrees when we opened it,” Rubin wrote in the caption of the video he posted on Facebook.

Paramedics examined the child, who was uninjured in the incident.

The boy's parents stated they were hopeful that the incident would help highlight the dangers of leaving a child inside a vehicle. They also said they were grateful that police and firefighters quickly rescued their son.

"Orlando Police Department and fire department both showed up right away on the spot and helped us out, so we're very grateful they were there to help us and they're our heroes for the day," Rubin said.