While it’s the first marriage for “I Bet” singer Ciara, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has been married before. The two tied the knot at the Peckforton Castle in Cheshire, England on Wednesday, but there is something else fans are curious about: Wilson’s ex-wife, Ashton Meem.
Here are some fast facts:
1. They met each other while in high school. Wilson was a star athlete, playing football, baseball and basketball at Collegiate School in Richmond, Virgina. They didn’t attend the same who school. Meem, who is a year older, attended St. Catherine’s High School, which is five miles away.
“We met briefly in high school,” she told Richmond Times-Dispatch in 2012. “Then again at a summer party and after that started seeing each other.”
2. They had a long distance relationship for a brief amount of time. While their high schools were close by, Meem left Virginia to attend University of Georgia and then switched to North Carolina State University. Wilson, on the other hand, went to the University of Wisconsin.
3. The couple was married in 2012. She dished about her marriage to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. She said she had dreams of starting her own boutique because she had so much fun planning her own wedding.
“I plan to start my own boutique event planning company that specializes in weddings,” she told the publication at the time. “Planning my own wedding was so positive.”
Meem is an Advertising Operations Assistant at American Family Insurance, according to her LinkedIn page.
4. Meem and Wilson were divorced by 2014. Rumors swirled the reason for the divorce came after she had an affair with Wilson’s former Seattle Seahawks teammate Golden Tate. Tate, who is now on the Detroit Lions, denied these claims.
5. She apparently shaded Ciara’s engagement ring after he proposed. After they got engaged, she changed her picture on Twitter and instagram to one that showed off the ring he got her. Wilson gave Ciara a 5-carat diamond rock, but adorned Meem’s ring finger with an 8-carat stunner, according to the blog MediaTakeOut.
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella