Italian authorities are hoping Domnica Cemortan can shed some light on the Italian cruise ship sinking. The Costa Concordia ran aground near the Tuscan island of Giglio last Friday, killing 11 people, with 22 still missing. The captain of the ship, Francesco Schettino, changed the course of the ship, bringing it close to shore in an attempt to give a salute to a friend on the island. The Costa Concordia hit a reef and began sinking, and Schettino, who allegedly abandoned the ship, was later arrested on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, and abandoning his ship.
Domnica Cemortan was reportedly with the captain when the Costa Concordia began sinking, and Italian authorities hope that she can clear up some details on what happened. But just who is this mystery woman? Very little is known about her, but several details have emerged. Here's what you need to know:
1) Domnica Cemortan was born in Chisinau, Moldova, but currently lives in Bucharest, Rom,ania, according to her Facebook page. She is 25-years-old, and has a 2-year-old daughter
2) Once word got out that authorities wanted to speak with her, she changed her current place of residence to Tanzania.
3) She has previously worked on cruise ships, but was on the Costa Concordia as a passenger.
4) She was seen dining and drinking with Capt. Schettino on the bridge, though she denies these claims.
5) She believes that what Schettino is being charged with is untrue, saying Look at how many people are alive because of him. It's a tragedy that people are missing, but he saved over 3,000 people on that ship because of his actions.
The search for the missing passengers was halted earlier this week after the Costa Concordia slipped deeper into the chilly water. Officials are worried it could slip further, sending it down an almost 300-foot deep ridge, causing an environmental disaster from leaking fuel. Italy has put pollution prevention measures in place, and are expected to declare a state of emergency to free up funds to deal with the disaster.