Woody Allen Claims Dylan Farrow's Sexual Assault Allegations Are ‘Untrue And Disgraceful’ Following Dylan's Open Letter Published Saturday

on February 03 2014 2:01 AM
Woody Allen
U.S. director Woody Allen poses during the premiere of his film "Blue Jasmine" in Paris Aug. 27, 2013. Reuters/Charles Platiau

Woody Allen has claimed that the renewed sexual allegations against him by his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow, made in an open letter published Saturday, are “untrue and disgraceful,” a spokesperson for the director reportedly said on Sunday.

Farrow, 28, in an open letter published by The New York Times, claimed that the 78-year-old director had molested her in a “dim, closet-like attic” at the age of seven. "For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn’t like," Allen's adopted daughter wrote in the open letter, which describes in some detail the alleged assault by the acclaimed director.

According to reports, Leslee Dart, Allen's spokesperson, said in an email: “Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful. He will be responding very soon.” 

Dart also added that the experts who had investigated the case earlier “concluded there was no credible evidence of molestation; that Dylan Farrow had an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality; and that Dylan Farrow had likely been coached by her mother Mia Farrow.”

The allegation that Allen had abused Dylan came to light during Allen’s 1992 split with Mia, the mother of Dylan. An investigation was conducted by the court, but Allen did not face any charges nor was he arrested, as there was no evidence to support the case.

Allen, in a public statement issued at the time, reportedly called the claims “an unconscionable and gruesomely damaging manipulation of innocent children for vindictive and self-serving motives.”

Farrow’s open letter did not suggest renewed legal action, but hinted at a retrial for Allen. However, according to reports, Todd Fernow, a law professor at the University of Connecticut said that the possibility that Allen could be charged was very low due to the huge span of time that has passed since the incident took place.

Reportedly, to convict Allen in this case, a prosecutor will have to provide enough evidence and show that he is guilty “beyond reasonable doubt.”

Farrow in her letter said: “Woody Allen is a living testament to the way our society fails the survivors of sexual assault and abuse.”

She also took aim at other stars who had worked with Allen, saying: “What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?"

According to Hollywood Reporter, Blanchett responded to the statement, saying, "It's obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and peace."

On Sunday, Sony Pictures Classics, which mostly distributes Allen's films including his latest, "Blue Jasmine," reportedly said: "This is a very complicated situation and a tragedy for everyone involved." The company also added that: "Mr. Allen has never charged in relationship to any of this, and therefore deserves our presumption of innocence."

Ronan Farrow, Allen and Mia's son, wrote on his Twitter account: “I love and support my sister and I think her words speak for themselves.”