Her's a list of the world’s strongest banks as measured by five weighted ratios and calculated By Bloomberg News.
The five weighted ratios were: Tier 1 capital, the ratio of a bank’s core equity capital to its risk-weighted assets (accounting for 40% of the score); the ratio of nonperforming assets to total assets (20%); the ratio of reserves for loan losses to nonperforming assets (20%); the ratio of deposits to funding (15%); and the efficiency ratio, which compares costs with revenues (5%). For two ratios -- nonperforming assets to total assets and efficiency -- a lower percentage is better; for the remaining ratios, a higher percentage is preferred. Banks were ranked on each criterion, and the ranks were added together to determine each bank's position in the list. Included were banks with total assets of $100 billion or more as of Sept. 12, 2013. Banks' 2012 fiscal year data was used for the study.
The ratios for each bank can be seen here.
1. Qatar National bank (Qatar) 18.9
2. Overseas-Chinese Banking Corp Ltd (SP:OCBC) (Singapore) 19.1
3. Norinchunkin Bank (Japan) 21.4
4. Imperial Bank of Commerce (TSE:CM) (Canada) 22.0
5. Royal Bank of Canada (NYSE:RY) (Canada) 24.8
6. Credit Suisse (NYSE:CS) (Switzerland) 27.4
7. DBS Group Holdings (SGX:D05) (Singapore) 28.2
8. OP-Pohjola Group (Finland) 29.7
9. United Overseas Bank (SGX:U11)(Singapore) 31.0
10. Hang Seng Bank (INDEXHANGSENG:HIS) (Hong Kong) 31.8
11. BOC Hong Kong (Holdings) Ltd (HKG:2388) (Hong Kong) 31.9
12. Bank of Nova Scotia (NYSE:BNS) (Canada) 32.7
13. Desjardins Group (Canada) 32.8
14. Bayerische Landesbank (Germany) 32.9
15. Toronto-Dominion Bank (NYSE:TD) (Canada) 33.7
16. Svenska Handelsbanken AB (STO:SHB-A)(Sweden) 34.7
17. Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C) (United States) 35.4
18. China Construction Bank Corporation (HKG:0939) (China) 36.6
19. Credit Suisse Group AG (ADR) (NYSE:CS) (Switzerland) 37.7
19. Malayan Banking Berhard (ADR)(Malaysia) 37.7
Born in the traditional manner in 1984 with slightly more hair than he has now, Christopher was raised in Edinburgh, Scotland. After four wobbly years in the British Royal...