After weeks of silence and seclusion, George Zimmerman released a public statement Monday about the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, referring to incident as a life altering event, on his website,

In a statement on the site, which Zimmerman's attorneys have confirmed to ABC News belongs to him, he wrote, As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family, and ultimately my entire life.

Zimmerman says his website gives him an outlet to speak directly to his supporters. On the site he created a PayPal account where he also asks supporters to donate to his legal fund and living expenses. However, the site was unavailable intermittently throughout the day.

The admitted killer's first public comments come as the special prosecutor investigating the shooting decided against empanelling a grand jury to seek an indictment against him. The decision to forego a grand jury precludes a first-degree murder charge, but prosecutors insist that was never a viable option. Charges against Zimmerman, if filed, could come within days.

The state attorney previously investigating the shooting, Norm Wolfinger, had said the case would go to a grand jury on April 10. That grand jury would have decided whether to charge Zimmerman but Wolfinger removed himself from the case on March 22 and was replaced by Angela Corey.

State Attorney Angela Corey has decided not to use a grand jury in the Trayvon Martin shooting death investigation, her office said in a statement.

At this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office, the statement said.

The shooting has generated protests around the country demanding Zimmerman's arrest and criticizing the police investigation.

Relatives and supporters of Zimmerman say he was attacked by Martin and feared for his life when he fired his 9mm handgun, for which he had a permit to carry.

Amid withering criticism of the investigation, Wolfinger removed himself from the case and was replaced by Corey. Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee stepped aside that same day.

The latest protest took place on Monday outside the Sanford Police Department, forcing police to temporarily close the police station to the public, suspend some services such as finger-printing, and move routine business to the city clerk's office.