The all-important Brexit vote is less than 10 days away. Britons have been wrestling with the question of whether they should remain in the European Union for months now, and it seems the more they think about it, the more comfortable they are with leaving. 

Many polls now suggest the momentum has swung toward having the U.K. quit the 28-member continental bloc. According to a YouGov poll for the Sunday Times of London, 46 percent of British citizens are now in favor of leaving the EU while only 39 percent want to stay. That 's a sharp turn from the same poll just over a week ago, which showed a 1 percent lead for the "Remain" camp. The YouGov poll, which surveyed 1,905 adults Sunday and Monday, showed 11 percent are still undecided.

An ORB poll for the Daily Telegraph, which surveyed 800 voters over the same span, echoes YouGov's with 49 percent in favor of leaving, but found the number opposed to be a statistically even 48 percent. Meanwhile, an ICM poll for the Guardian found 53 percent support leaving compared with 47 percent favoring staying in the EU. That poll surveyed 1,000 adults Friday through Monday. 

One development that will surely spur momentum to leave is the Sun weighing in. While the position of the conservative-leaning mass-market tabloid, which is owned by media magnate Rupert Murdoch, is not exactly surprising, it is still significant. 

"Throughout our 43-year membership of the European Union it has proved increasingly greedy, wasteful, bullying and breathtakingly incompetent in a crisis. Next Thursday, at the ballot box, we can correct this huge and ¬≠historic mistake," argued the paper in an op-ed Monday. "The Sun urges everyone to vote Leave. We must set ourselves free from dictatorial Brussels."

The Sun argued that Britain's departure would preserve the country's sovereignty, help safeguard against threats posed by immigration, and not significantly damage the economy.