Charlie Gard, the terminally-ill baby, who was at the center of a legal battle regarding his treatment, died Friday, according to a family spokesperson.

The legal battle surrounding his fate captured worldwide attention, with US President Donald Trump and Pope Francis offering their support in his treatment.

Charlie’s parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, wanted to take Charlie to the United States for a nucleoside bypass therapy as the 11-month-old infant suffered from a rare genetic condition, which causes progressive brain damage and muscle weakness.

But they got entangled in a legal battle with Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), where the specialists told them the treatment was experimental and nothing could be done to improve the baby’s condition as he had irreversible brain damage.

ReadCharlie Gard's Mother Responds After Trump Offers Help To Terminally Ill 11-Month Old Set To Die

In a statement issued Friday evening, Charlie’s mother Yates said: "Our beautiful little boy has gone, we are so proud of you Charlie."

The couple ceased their legal battle on Monday after professor Michio Hirano, the American neurologist who gone to the U.K. to examine Charlie’s condition, said it was too late for any kind of treatment to work.

Hundreds of people in the U.K. who called themselves "Charlie's Army" supported his parents and raised £1.35 million ($1.77m) for them to take him to the U.S. for treatment.

Soon after the news of the baby's death spread, leaders, politicians and other prominent figures sent their condolences to the family.

U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May said: "I am deeply saddened by the death of Charlie Gard. My thoughts and prayers are with Charlie's parents Chris and Connie at this difficult time."

Pope Francis tweeted: "I entrust little Charlie to the Father and pray for his parents and all those who loved him."

GOSH said it sent its "heartfelt condolences" to Charlie's parents and people close to the family, according to BBC News.

Read: Charlie Gard’s Parents’ Final Plea To Save Terminally Ill Baby’s Life: ‘We Are Still Fighting’

Here's a timeline of Charlie's entire case as his parents lost the fight to save him.

4 August 2016

Charlie Gard was born a "perfectly healthy" baby to his parents Chris Gard and Connie Yates, both residing in Bedfont, London.

September 2016

Just eight weeks old, Charlie is taken to hospital after he suddenly starts to lose weight and strength. He is then diagnosed with a rare genetic condition — infantile onset encephalomyopathy mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome — at GOSH. 

January 2017

Charlie's mother set up a crowd funding page after an American doctor showed his willingness to offer Charlie a trial therapy of a treatment called nucleoside, which previously had positive results on children with similar syndrome, but had never been used in treating someone with the exact same condition as Charlie.

2 April 2017

Before their son's case began, Charlie's parents had already reached their initial £1.2m ($1.57m) fundraising target for the baby's treatment and air ambulance travel expenses to the United States. The target later went up to £1.3m ($1.70m), however that was also collected through donations by over 83,000 people.

11 April 2017

A High Court judge ruled that doctors at GOSH can turn off Charlie's life support against the wishes of his parents who had appealed to the court.

22 April 2017

The couple set up a campaign and ask supporters to sign a petition and write letters to the prime minister of U.K. for Charlie's treatment. People on social media poured in support and more than 110,000 signed the petition.

May 3 2017

Charlie's parents request the Court of Appeal judges to consider the case

23 May 2017

Three Court of Appeal judges examine the case and dismissed the parents' appeal

8 June 2017

The couple head to the Supreme Court and three justices dismiss their appeal. Outside the court, Charlie's mother said: "How can they do this to us? They are lying. Why don't they tell the truth?"

GOSH was ordered to keep the baby on life support for 24 hours till the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) would take up the case. However, ECHR refused to intervene, according to Sky News.

2 July 2017

The Pope intervened and asked for Charlie's parents to be allowed to "accompany and treat their child until the end."

3 July 2017

President Donald Trump offered his help to Charlie, posting on Twitter that he would be "delighted to do so".

17 July 2017

An American neurosurgeon, who was ready to help treat Charlie, met the infant at GOSH and was also provided with all medical records for further examination.

22 July 2017

A new examination on Charlie's condition made for a "sad reading," a lawyer representing Great Ormond Street Hospital told the High Court, which meant that it was too late for any kind of treatment to work.

23 July 2017

Doctors, nurses and other staff at Great Ormond Street Hospital received messages containing death threats. The hospital said it contacted police following a "shocking and disgraceful tide" of hostility, after the High Court hearing on Charlie's condition.

24 July 2017

Charlie's parents stepped down from their fight and their lawyer said "time had run out" for the 11-month-old baby.

25 July 2017

Charlie's mother appealed to the High Court in order to allow her to take the baby home for his last moments. Hospital opposes the plan and it is dismissed.

27 July 2017

A High Court judge ordered Charlie's transfer to a hospice and said he would be removed from ventilation after a span of time.

28 July 2017

Charlie died in the hospice, a week before he would have turned one.