Accused cop-killer Eric Matthew Frein remains at large despite a monthlong manhunt that has cost Pennsylvania taxpayers millions of dollars. Frein detailed his attack on two troopers outside a Pennsylvania State Police barracks in a diary found at a nearby campsite, law enforcement officials said Wednesday.

“Got a shot around 11 p.m. and took it,” Frein wrote, according to NBC News. “He dropped. I was surprised at how quick. I took a follow-up shot on his head, neck area. He was still and quiet after that. Another cop approached the one I just shot. As he went to kneel, I took a shot at him and jumped in the door. His legs were visible and still.”

Frein, 31, allegedly used a high-powered rifle to kill Cpl. Bryon Dickson and wound State Trooper Alex T. Douglass outside the Blooming Grove barracks. He has been on the run since Sept. 12, evading hundreds of law and enforcement officials, according to CNN. Frein reputedly has been seen four times since Friday, but authorities were too far to achieve the identity confirmation that would allow them to shoot at him.

“I can only describe Eric Frein’s actions as pure evil,” Lt. Col George Bivens said. “Every so often true evil rears its ugly head and we must deal with it. … The Pennsylvania State Police didn’t pick this fight, but it is ours to finish."

In addition to any charges stemming from his attack on Dickson and Douglass, Frein will be charged with two counts of weapons of mass destruction after authorities discovered a pair of pipe bombs at his nearby campsite, Bivens said. The bombs were rigged to maim anyone who triggered them.

Law enforcement officials said on Sept. 30 that the cost of the manhunt would be addressed after Frein’s capture. “The sole focus of the state police at this time is the apprehension of Eric Frein,” Jay Pagni, a spokesman for Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett, said Monday, according to the Towanda Daily Review. “The state police will address the fiscal and resource impact of the manhunt at a later time.”