The Baltimore Police Department has identified six officers who were involved in the arrest of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died Sunday from a spinal cord injury after falling into a coma shortly after being arrested. It named Lt. Brian Rice, Sgt. Alicia White and Police Officers William Porter, Garrett Miller, Edward Nero and Caesar Goodson, CBS Baltimore reported.

Civilian cell phone footage showed officers dragging Gray into a police van April 12 shortly after chasing him down for reasons that remain unclear. An hour after his arrest, Gray had fallen into a coma and was in a hospital.

"His spine was 80 percent severed at his neck," a family attorney, Billy Murphy, said, describing how Gray fell into a coma before nearly dying and being resuscitated back into a coma. "He clung to life for seven days," Murphy said, before Gray finally passed away Sunday morning.




The police involved have varying ages and years of experience. Rice, 41, has been an officer for nearly two decades, since 1997, and Goodson, 45, has been an officer since 1999. White, 30, has served since 2010, while Porter, Miller and Nero, were all under the age of 30 and joined the force since 2012, CBS Baltimore reported.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, told CNN she was "frustrated" and promised to make information public as soon as it is confirmed, including how Gray could have suffered the spinal cord injury during his arrest. "He was dragged a bit, but then you see him using his legs to get into the van, so he was able-bodied when he was in the van," Rawlings-Blake said. "And we know that when he was finally taken out of the van, he was unresponsive." 

Assistant Police Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said he did not know whether Gray suffered his "very traumatic injury" before or during his time in the police van. 

Gray's death comes just months after the U.S. Department of Justice announced in October that it would be working with the Baltimore Police Department to reform and reassess how the force interacts with civilians. In January, the Justice Department began gathering data, and just last week it held a town hall meeting at a university at which residents voiced complaints and fury about mistreatment at the hands of Baltimore police.