A late Stuttgart fight back could not prevent Bayern Munich completing a remarkable and unique treble as they won 3-2 in Berlin’s Olympiastadion to claim the DFB-Pokal. Despite being massive underdogs, Stuttgart had given Bayern a fright early on but the Bavarians took a stranglehold on proceedings with goals from Thomas Muller, from the penalty spot, and Mario Gomez in an 11 minute spell either side of half-time. Gomez added a second just past the hour mark to seemingly put the result beyond doubt. Yet Martin Harnik’s goal sprung VfB into life and they caused real concern in the Bayern ranks when the Austrian added a second with 10 minutes remaining.

Still, in the end Bayern held on as the squad ended a sensational season and Jupp Heynckes’s time as manager in a fitting winning manner. Just seven days after lifting the Champions League title at Wembley and having already wrapped up the Bundesliga title earlier than any other team in history, Bayern now become the first ever German team to complete the most prestigious of trebles.

Heynckes started with two changes to the side that triumphed so dramatically over Borussia Dortmund, with Dante away on international duty with Brazil and Mario Gomez given a rare start ahead of Mario Mandzukic. The changes appeared to have little effect in the early going as Bayern came close to a goal inside five minutes when Robben’s effort was turned just wide of the goal by Sven Ulreich.

But Stuttgart responded and should have taken the lead minutes later when Alexandru Maxim volleyed wide. Bruno Labbadia’s side came even closer to opening the scoring when Manuel Neuer just kept out a close-range header before making an even better stop to deny Georg Niedermier at the near post.

Bayern came back, though, and wasted a chance of their own when David Alaba poked a tame effort at Ulreich when clean through. In the 37th minute they made no mistake. Bayern had already been denied a clear penalty for a late tackle on Arjen Robben before Ibrahima Traore bundled Philipp Lahm down in the box. Muller was the man to take the responsibility and he coolly slotted it into the bottom corner, sending Ulreich wrong way.

Three minutes after the break it was 2-0. Robben was able to drift in from the right far too easily before slipping it off to the overlapping Lahm who fired the ball across the six yard box and Gomez rather ungainly bundled it into the net.

Bayern’s third goal was similar in its look and Stuttgart’s compliance. Schweinsteiger’s pass down the right allowed Muller to break the offside trap and cross low to where Gomez was once again in the right place at the right time, but this time produced a more assured finish to side-foot low into the corner.

Bayern fans were already celebrating in the stands, but there was to be a late twist. With 19 minutes remaining Harnik planted a firm header back across goal from Gotuku SaKai’s accurate cross to the back post. And nine minutes later the result was put in real jeopardy. Substitute Shinji Okazaki struck the post and Harnik struck the rebound straight at Neuer but made no mistake at the second attempt as he drilled the ball into the net.

Heynckes was clearly worried and brought on the experienced Anatoliy Tymoshchuk for Robben to shore things up. To the veteran manager’s relief Bayern were able to survive the final minutes without undue trouble before lifting his third trophy of the season before making way for Pep Guardiola.

Bayern Munich 3-2 VfB Stuttgart Footyroom.com by Futbol2101