At 15.5 pounds, baby Chun Chun is China's heaviest baby. He was born on Saturday, in the city of Xinxiang in the country's Henan Province.
Chun Chun's mother Wang Yujuan, 29, delivered the 15.5-pound baby via C-section, which lasted about 20 minutes, according to reports.
I clearly felt that my body was more clumsy than when I had been pregnant with my daughter. My belly was bigger than it was then, Wang told the media. I guessed the baby would be between 10 and 11 pounds. I never expected to hear that he weighs 15.5 pounds.
Chun Chun's younger sister is now 6 years old and weighed 8.8 pounds at birth.
Han Jingang, the father of the 15-pound baby boy, told UK's The Sun newspaper that his wife didn't do anything out of the ordinary during her pregnancy.
She ate and drank normally as she should, Jingang said. But she's given birth to such a big, fat son.
Today is the first day of spring in the Chinese calendar and he's a 'dragon baby,' Jingang added. I feel very happy.
Here are some of the heaviest babies at birth who have made headlines across the world:
- Asher Stewardson: On Jan. 26, mom Kendall Stewardson gave birth to a nearly 14-pound baby boy named Asher at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines, Iowa. Asher Stewardson weighed 13 pounds and 13 ounces at birth and was 23 1/2 inches. He was delivered naturally.
- Ademilton dos Santos: In 2005, a woman gave birth to baby boy in Brazil named Ademilton who weighed 17 pounds at birth. Doctors nicknamed his giant baby. Ademilton was given oxygen because of because of breathing problems and was given an intravenous glucose solution to maintain a safe blood sugar level, according to MSNBC. Other than that, he was born in good health.
- Matthew Anthony Maldanado: Baby Matthew was 14 pounds 3.6 ounces when he arrived into the world last year, to parents Emily and Jose. NBC Southern California reported that Emily was in labor for two days. Matthew was delivered via C-section.
- Baby JaMichael: Texas woman Janet Johonson and Michael Brown welcomed baby JaMichael last year, who weighed 16 pounds and 1 ounce at birth. JaMichael was 24 inches long and had a 17-inch chest, according to reports. He was delivered through C-section.
- Muhammad Akbar Risuddin: When he was born in 2009, Muhammad Akbar Risuddin was believed to be the heaviest baby born in Indonesia. He weighed 19.2 pounds and was born to parents Hananuddin and Ani. Baby Muhammad was 24.4 inches long, CNN reported.
- Heaviest baby born to a healthy mother: The heaviest baby on record born to a healthy mother took place in September 1955 in Aversa, Italy. Guinness World Records noted that the baby weighed 22 pounds and 8 ounces.
- Heaviest baby ever: According to Guinness World Records, the heaviest baby so far was born to Giantess Anna Bates from Canada. It was a baby boy who weighed 23 pounds and 12 ounces at birth. Anna Bates' baby was 30 inches long and was born in Seville, Ohio, on Jan. 19, 1879. The baby boy died 11 hours later.