FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Franco-American telecoms gear maker Alcatel-Lucent (ALUA.PA) sees no negative surprises in the coming months and has no plans for further hard belt-tightening, Germany's Handelsblatt newspaper quoted the company's chief executive as saying.
It is very unlikely that we will present a big negative surprise in the coming two quarters, Ben Verwaayen told the newspaper, which released a summary of the interview late on Tuesday.
Earlier this month, the company posted fourth-quarter earnings and sales that beat forecasts but said it took a 3.91 billion euro ($4.9 billion) writedown on aging assets.
Verwaayen told the paper he could not promise that the writedown would be the last bit of bad news forever.
But there is no reason why there should be more. Our balance sheet now reflects reality honestly and transparently.
The company said last week it planned to cut 1,000 managerial posts from its global workforce.
The paper said Verwaayen did not expect further tough savings measures. It's no longer about a new direction, rather it's about putting our strategy into effect, the paper quoted him as saying. (Reporting by Jonathan Gould; editing by Richard Chang)