Alec Baldwin Says He Will 'Never' Use Twitter Again, Would 'Love' To Quit Acting For Good

 @AndrewBerry1
on July 03 2013 5:19 PM
RTXZUXA
Cast member Alec Baldwin (L) poses with his wife Hilaria Thomas during a photocall for the film "Seduced and Abandoned" at the 66th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 21, 2013. Reuters

In an exclusive interview with Vanity Fair, embattled actor Alec Baldwin has declared that he will "never" use Twitter again and that he would "love" to quit acting.

Last week, the “30 Rock” star had a Twitter meltdown after George Stark of the Daily Mail wrote a story claiming that Baldwin’s pregnant wife, Hilaria, was tweeting during the funeral services for “Sopranos” star James Gandolfini.

Baldwin furiously denied the accusation and publicly lambasted Stark on Twitter, referring to him as a “f*cking little bitch” and a “toxic little queen” before threatening Stark with physical violence. Baldwin then deleted his Twitter account. In the aftermath, Baldwin was roundly criticized for his choice of language. He later issued an apology to gay advocacy group GLAAD. The Daily Mail, for its part, has since pulled the story from its website and apologized to the actor.

In an interview ostensibly to discuss a photo collection of 30 music and film icons that Baldwin curated for Rock Paper Photo, Vanity Fair asked him whether he would reactivate his Twitter account.

“Never. No,” Baldwin responded. “I went to Jimmy Gandolfini’s funeral, and when I was there I realized Jimmy Gandolfini didn’t have Twitter. Jimmy Gandolfini was so beloved as a person, and he was so admired as an actor, and he didn’t give a f**k about social media.”

Baldwin then went on to describe social media in general as a waste of time. “Meaning it’s fun sometimes, but less and less, and less,” Baldwin said. “It’s just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you. I stopped and said to myself, I’m going to try where I just don’t do this anymore.”

Baldwin also discussed his desire to step away from the spotlight given the myriad public controversies he’s gotten into over the past few years, including the spat with his daughter, Ireland.

“Everyone has seen how certain things have played out with my daughter, which has been very painful,” Baldwin said. “That has consequences, and I do not want that to happen with my next child. I have one dream in my life, and that is that this daughter I’m having — she comes to me about seven or eight years from now, she has a friend, and she’s at her house and she says, 'Daddy, Susie’s mom says you used to be on TV. Daddy, is that true?' She has no knowledge of me as a public person. That would be heaven for me.”

When asked if he would consider quitting acting, Baldwin replied, “I’d love to if I could, yeah. That would be the greatest thing in the world.”

Baldwin has just wrapped up a seven-year run on NBC’s “30 Rock." He is set to appear in Woody Allen’s new film “Blue Jasmine” due out on July 26, and he has produced a new documentary film, "Seduced and Abandoned," about the Cannes Film Festival.

Share this article

More News from IBT MEDIA