Toxicology tests show that British soul singer Amy Winehouse had no drugs in her system when she died, although there was alcohol found in her bloodstream, the singer's family revealed.
However, the test was unable to determine if alcohol played a role in Winehouse's untimely death. The family's statement said it is awaiting the results on an inquest that opened in July and is set to resume in London Oct. 26.
The 27-year-old Winehouse was found dead in her north London home on July 23 by her bodyguard. Many assumed that Winehouse, who was famous for her beehive hairstyle, erratic relationships and history of drug and alcohol abuse, likely died as the result of a drug overdose.
A report in the British tabloid The Sun quoted a family source as saying that Winehouse's death may have been caused by sudden alcohol withdrawal. A doctor had reportedly told the hard-drinking singer to gradually cut down on her drinking, but Winehouse claimed that it was all or nothing and gave up the bottle completely.
At her funeral, Winehouse's father Mitch said she was the happiest she had been in years and had conquered her drug dependency three years before.
She was trying hard to deal with her drinking and had just completed three weeks of abstinence, he said.
Mitch Winehouse announced plans to launch a foundation in his daughter's name to help young people battling drug and alcohol addiction. However, he was forced to return donations for the rehabilitation clinic after opportunists snapped up possible Internet addresses for the charity shortly after her death.