Anders Breivik may have filmed his massacre of a Norwegian Labor Party youth camp on Utoya Island ouside Oslo, a British newspaper reported Thursday.

The gunman made references to the possibility of filming his violent acts in an online manifesto, and indicated to Oslo police that he may have documented the shootings, which killed 69 people.

"We have information from his manifesto and from earlier interrogations indicating that he did have a camera," Oslo police lawyer Christian Hatlo told The Daily Mail.

In the hours just before the attacks, Breivik e-mailed a 1,500-page manifesto to hundreds of contacts. In it, he mentioned plans to film the attacks and distribute the footage to newsrooms to broadcast, believing he would be unable to publish the footage himself.

"Unfortunately, the upload and submission via e-mail could take at least three to seven hours, so it is not an option because of technological limitations," the Daily Mail quotes Breivik from the manifesto.

It was previously reported that a cameraman from an Oslo news station unintentionally filmed Breivik mid-massacre.

Marius Arnesen, a cameraman for Norwegian public broadcaster NRK, said he initially underestimated the scale of the disaster he had been dispatched to record. Breivik had earlier set off a bomb in Oslo's city center and then traveled to Utoya island, where teenagers and young adults were assembled for a political retreat.

"We were circling the island taking shots of the island," Arnesen told The Associated Press in late July. "It looked empty, so at first I thought police had evacuated the island. Then we saw people swimming and floating in the water. And then we started slowly realizing what was going on."

NRK editors detected the gunman on the raw footage the day after the massacre, as they were reviewing the footage frame by frame.

"I got a call saying, 'Just to let you know, you've captured the killer,'" Arnesen said.

Arnesen was believed to have captured the only known images of the gunman at work, without realizing that Breivik was in his viewfinder. The Daily Mail reported Thursday that "hundreds of computers, cameras, phones and other items have already been found" on the island  -- presumably left behind by attendees of the youth retreat -- but no reports have yet surfaced of footage captured by Breivik's targets.

Breivik reportedly did not expect even to get as far as the island, telling his lawyer, Geir Lippestad, that he expected to be killed after bombing the Oslo city center, which is full of government buildings.

"He was a little surprised he succeeded -- in his mind, succeeded," Lippestad said during a press conference. "He was expecting to be stopped earlier by the police or someone else during the actual day. He was surprised that he reached the island.

"He thought he would be killed after the bombing, after the action in the island, and he also thought he would be killed at the trial," the attorney added. "He believes someone will kill him."