The international variant of the Samsung (KRX:005935) Galaxy S4, with the model number GT-I9500 has started receiving the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware update.
The new firmware is currently available through Samsung Kies while users can also upgrade their devices via official over-the-air updates. However, users facing problems while installing the new firmware through the official channels can also update their phones by performing a manual installation.
Here are the key improvements and features that are included in the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update (I9500XXUEMJ5) for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500):
- OpenGL 3.0 support
- Galaxy Gear support
Continue Reading Below
- TRIM support, making the device faster
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet
- Improved RAM management
- Improved display color reproduction, making the screen look sharper
- Improved TouchWiz launcher
- New Samsung keyboard
- New Samsung browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode, which optimizes display for reading
- New camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget and dialog boxes among others)
Now, check out the manual installation tutorial for updating the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) to the new firmware below.
Vital Points To Note
- Make sure that you have proper backup for data.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S4 has at least 80 percent battery power.
- You must have the USB drivers for your device installed on your computer. [Download]
- Enable USB Debugging.
- After flashing the firmware, you will lose custom ROMs such as CM10, Paranoid Android or AOKP installed in your device.
- You will also lose custom recovery such as ClockWorkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery if you have any.
- After installing it on your Galaxy S4, you will lose the root if you have any as the I9500XXUEMJ5 is an official firmware.
- The process is meant only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT- I9500).
NOTE: International Business Times will not be responsible for anything that goes wrong. Users should proceed at their own risk.
Step 1: Download the updated firmware package and extract the zip file.
Step 2: Download Odin v3.07 and extract the zip file.
Step 3: Switch off the phone and put it on the Download Mode. To do this, press Volume Down + Home + Power buttons and then press Volume Up when the warning message appears.
Step 4: Run Odin v3.07.exe as an Administrator.
Step 5: Connect the Galaxy S4 to your computer via the USB cable while in the Download mode.
If the phone is connected properly, you will see that the ID:COM section turns Yellow and a message will appear in Odin’s message box, saying “Added!!” If not, check whether the USB drivers are installed properly on your computer.
Step 6: In Odin, click on PDA and select the .tar file that you have extracted from the Firmware Package in Step 1.
Step 7: In Odin, select the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options, but make sure that the re-partition checkbox is not selected.
Step 8: Now click on the Start button in Odin to begin the installation process.
Step 9: Once the installation is complete, the device will reboot on its own. Once you get the Samsung logo on the home screen, unplug the device from the computer and close Odin.
[Source: Team Android]