While there are months to go for the Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) to release its next-generation iPhone, dubbed the “iPhone 6,” many reports have already suggested the upcoming flagship smartphone could sport a bigger display than the current models of the device.
Adding further substance to the rumor, a new report said Tuesday that Pegatron Corporation (TPE:4938), a major Apple supplier, has received 15 percent of the orders for the new iPhone 6 with a 4.7-inch display, which is expected to be released sometime in September.
Pegatron, which partly manufactures current models like the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, will produce 50 million iPhones in total this year -- up from 35 million last year -- including the iPhone 6, iPhone 5c and iPhone 4s units. To accommodate the influx of new orders from Apple, Pegatron is offloading production to a new facility in Kunshan, China, Taiwan's Commercial Times reported.
The report corresponds to a recent report from China Times, which said that Pegatron would begin iPhone 6 production at its Kunshan plant sometime in the second quarter of this year. Pegatron was also recently rumored to be training “thousands” of new workers for iPhone 6 manufacturing duties.
While Pegatron is rumored to take a 15 percent share of orders for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 model, the remaining 85 percent is expected to be offered to Foxconn Technology Co. Ltd. (TPE:2354), AppleInsider reported.
Continue Reading Below
Meanwhile, a report from GforGames said on Wednesday that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Ltd. (NYSE:TSM) has already provided the first batch of Touch ID fingerprint sensors that would be used in the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3.
The report also said that the fingerprint sensors would be assembled by TSMC subsidiaries Xintec and Suzhou Crystal Semiconductor.
The rumor about the inclusion of the Touch ID on the next-generation iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini falls in line with predictions from Ming-Chi Kuo, an analyst with KGI Securities, saying that both devices could feature the fingerprint sensor, alongside processor upgrades and various other improvements, MacRumors reported.
For the year 2014, Apple is widely expected to launch two iPhone 6 models with 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes. In addition to the larger screen, the new iPhone could feature a thinner design, a faster A8 processor and an improved camera.
The smaller 4.7-inch version of the phone is expected to ship first, while the larger version is estimated to ship later due to production issues with the device's display and battery life.