Apple succession plan proposal got 30 percent support

By @ibtimes on

Roughly 30 percent of Apple shareholder votes cast were in favor of a proposal to disclose a succession planning policy for Chief Executive Steve Jobs, according to a tally released by the company.

Apple said Wednesday during its annual shareholders' meeting that the proposal, submitted by the Central Laborers' Pension Fund, had failed to pass. But the company did not release details of the vote.

According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday, 172.3 million shares were voted in favor of the proposal. Roughly 400 million shares were voted against it, with 3.4 million abstained. There were 178.3 million broker non-votes.

Apple opposed the proposal, which called on it to adopt and disclose a written and detailed succession planning policy. The company has said it already has such a plan.

Succession planning at Apple has been a hot topic since Jobs announced last month he was taking medical leave. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook is now overseeing day-to-day operations at the company.

(Reporting by Gabriel Madway; Editing by Gary Hill)

Join the Discussion