Luis Suarez would be making a mistake were he to swap Anfield for the Emirates, according to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers. Arsenal have made two bids for the forward, the latter of which triggered a clause in his contract by offering £40,000,001. Yet, while Suarez’s camp believes that they are now entitled to discuss a transfer with the Gunners, Liverpool continue insist that the player is merely required to be informed of the offer. Quite why that would even make a contract clause necessary remains a mystery.
Suarez’s camp appear ready to take the matter further and could let the Premier League mediate in the disagreement as he strives to join a club in the Champions League, according to The Independent. But, while Arsenal could offer that allure immediately, Rodgers has implied that it would be short-sighted of the Uruguayan to make the move.
"I know what we are trying to build and grow, so why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal?" he said, in quotes that have been widely reported in the British press. "I am not sure that it adds up, to be honest. Arsenal has a wonderful history in its own right but Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world. OK, we might not be in the Champions League and haven't been for a while now but our competitors have grown around us and we have to step up to the challenge now."
Liverpool may yet find themselves backed into a corner of selling to one of their direct rivals in the battle to claim a Champions League spot next season, however. Although Suarez has publicly stated his interest in joining Real Madrid, the Spanish champions are currently out of the running as they focus their attentions on securing a deal for Tottenham’s Gareth Bale.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail believes that Arsenal could yet rival Manchester United for the signing of former captain Cesc Fabregas. United have already had two bids rejected by Barcelona, although the Premier League champions are refusing to give up on a deal. Still, the Mail believes that were United to have a bid accepted then Arsenal would exercise what is claimed to be a £25 million buy-back clause and are confident that Fabregas would choose to return to the Emirates. That suggestion contradicts information elsewhere, though, with reports that the Spain international is not currently interested in rejoining Arsenal.
Arsene Wenger is believed to be keen to bolster his midfield this summer, although it is likely that attention will be focused on a more defensive-minded player. The Gunners are believed to have failed in an tempt to sign Toulouse’s Etienne Capoue in January but now Premier League newcomers Cardiff City have had a €10 million (£8.6m) plus €2 million (£1.7m) in extras offer accepted. The France international is not believed to be keen on joining Cardiff, giving the likes of Arsenal the chance to step in. But the Ligue 1 side’s chairman has insisted that other suitors now know the price that must be reached.
“Now the clubs interested in Etienne have to know we will not accept any offer inferior to the one from Cardiff," Olivier Sadran said, according to L'Equipe.
The Gunners have been linked with a bid for Brazilian starlet Bernard in recent days and his club Atletico Mineiro have now revealed that a bid of €25 million (£21.57m) will be enough to secure the attacking midfielder. With his club lifting the Copa Libertadores on Wednesday, the 20-year-old’s future looks set to be decided imminently, but Wenger has denied a report that a deal had already been agreed.
“The president has made it clear that if there is a 25m Euros offer, he will sell Bernard and we will sign another player," director of football Eduardo Maluf explained, according to Sky Sports. "Otherwise Bernard stays. He is young and can leave at the end of the year.
"Arsenal have denied the Bernard rumor. He is the great player of the moment."