Arsenal Transfer News: Higuain, Barry, Jovetic And Grenier; The Latest On Wenger’s Attempts To Strengthen His Squad This Summer

 @JasonLeMiere
on July 03 2013 1:29 PM
Arsene Wenger
Arsene Wenger has so far largely been frustrated in his attempts to strengthen his squad this summer. Reuters

Juventus have hinted that they are happy with their current attacking options, potentially leaving the path clear for Arsenal to secure the signing of Gonzalo Higuain. The Gunners are thought to be locked in negotiations with Real Madrid for the striker after the player was thought to have agreed in principal to terms with both them and Juventus.

However, it appears that Madrid’s €30 million (£25.6m) asking price has proved to be a significant deterrence to the Italian champions. And as he unveiled the signings of forwards Fernando Llorente and Carlos Tevez, director general Beppe Marotta revealed that he was content with the club’s additions.

“With the arrival of Llorente and Carlos Tevez, we have brought in two quality players and are happy with our options in attack,” he said, according to Italian outlet Tuttosport. Marotta did, however, refuse to rule anything out, particularly referring to another forward linked to both Arsenal and Juventus, Stevan Jovetic. “Jovetic? We have had difficult relations with Fiorentina,” he explained. “But, I said it before, from now until August 31, anything can happen.”

IBTimes has been informed that Jovetic will know his future in the next week. While he has an agreement that he can leave Fiorentina this summer, the Montenegrin will only be allowed to do so for a fee of €30 million.

Of course, that figure is also a stumbling block in Arsenal’s attempts to secure Higuain. Goal.com has reported that Arsenal are currently only prepared to offer £21 million for the Argentina international. The story claims that the Gunners are now eyeing up less-expensive alternatives, which would appear to rule out a move for Jovetic at this stage. And the same is likely true of another reported target Wayne Rooney.

Arsenal’s frustrations in the transfer market have also seen them have an offer rebuked for Bayer Leverkusen’s Lars Bender. With the signing of a defensive midfielder very much a priority for Arsene Wenger, the Sun reports that Arsenal are considering an approach for Manchester City’s Gareth Barry. The 32-year-old has just one year remaining on his contract at the Etihad and his future looks uncertain with the arrival of manager Manuel Pellegrini and the big-money signing of Fernandinho. The potential transfer of Barry is one that is unlikely to invigorate the Arsenal faithful, while his hefty wages at City could be a potential barrier to a deal.

Bender is not the only midfielder for which arsenal have had a bid rejected. Clement Grenier has revealed that an offer from Arsenal has been turned down by Lyon. The Ligue 1 side this week insisted that the France international would be staying for next season, but Grenier is not so sure.

"I know Lyon have rejected an offer from Arsenal,” he said, according to Sky Sports. “Of course it is flattering that clubs are interested in me. It's hard for me to talk about my future now because I'm not yet certain of it. I prefer to wait to be 100 percent sure of what is going to happen before I do it."

Follow Jason Le Miere on Twitter

Share this article