Robin van Persie returned to Arsenal on Monday, but all indications are that the Gunners captain will not be sticking around for long. The Dutchman reunited with his teammates as he began pre-season training at the club's London Colney base.
Having announced his unwillingness to sign a new deal, both parties are seemingly eager to resolve the forward's future as soon as possible; preferably before Arsenal head off for a tour of Asia this weekend.
Robin returned to training on Monday as expected and made it clear he wants to sit down and resolve the matter of his future, either way, as soon as possible, said an Arsenal spokesman, according to the Sun.
No date has yet been agreed for that meeting.
The Sun intimates that Arsenal have given up hope of keeping their talisman, using the evidence of Van Persie not featuring in the club's latest online catalog.
The Independent focuses on where Van Persie will be heading next. According to their insight, the 28-year-old forward's preference is for a move to Juventus, with Manchester United next in line followed by rivals Manchester City.
While Arsenal will doubtless favor selling Van Persie abroad, it may mean that they have to accept a lower offer from the Serie A champions than United or certainly City would be prepared to submit.
While Van Persie has dominated the transfer tittle-tattle in recent weeks, the early part of the summer was full of stories about the supposedly imminent signing by Arsenal of Yann M'Vila. The French defensive midfielder was thought to be high on Arsene Wenger's wish list before stories emerged that the Rennes star's continued disciplinary problems on and off the pitch had sullied Wenger on a move.
Rennes chairman Frederic de Saint Sernin has claimed that no club has yet bid for the 21-year-old, although there has been interest.
We have agreed with him to be transferred this summer, he said, according to Sky Sports.
There are several clubs who have come forward but there was no offer, the clubs in question are big clubs and are clubs abroad.
According to the Daily Mail and the Times, Arsenal have made a bid-of £9 million-for Brazilian midfielder Paulinho. The 23-year-old has just claimed the Copa Libertadores with Corinthians and has already made his debut for the Selecao.
However, given that Paulinho just signed a new contract following reported interest from Internazionale, there seems little chance that he will be joining the Gunners anytime soon.
Arsenal have also been linked with a move to strengthen their midfield with the signing of Schalke's Lewis Holtby. The German international has an English father and has previously stated his admiration for the Gunners. But, despite having just a year remaining on his contract, the 21-year-old has claimed he has no thoughts about a move away.
I am under contract with the club and I am a Schalke player, he said, according to Sky Sports.
I just want to focus on playing football.
I like it at Schalke. I will give my best in training and the manager will decide if I am a first team player.