The first moves have been made for Arsenal's want-away captain Robin van Persie, with it now being made public knowledge that Manchester United have made a bid for the Dutchman.
According to the Daily Telegraph, United's offer fell short of £15 million, some way below the £25 million that Arsenal are looking to receive.
Van Persie has just 12 months remaining on his contract at the Emirates and has made clear that he has no desire to sign a new deal. Both Manchester City and Juventus have also signaled their interest in signing last season's PFA and Football Writer's Player of the Year.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger had been after a swift resolution to the situation to avoid a repeat of the similar transfer saga surrounding Samir Nasri a year ago, which played a large part in the club's dismal start to last season.
That now looks unlikely. The Telegraph claims that Van Persie will be left out of the team's pre-season tour of Asia, which departs on Saturday. Although fitness issues will be used to explain the forward's absence, the question marks over his future is surely the predominant factor.
It remains to be seen whether Arsenal will hold Van Persie to the final year of his contract should they not receive a similar bid to the £24 million that took Samir Nasri--who also had 12 months remaining on his contract--to Manchester City last summer.
If the Gunners do sell, the Daily Mail is reporting that Arsenal could swoop for Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente. The Spanish international is said to have a £28 million release clause in his contract with the Basque outfit. It is hard to see Arsenal matching that figure, which may prevent a move given Bilbao's propensity for driving a hard bargain.
There will also be doubts about Llorente's suitability to replace Van Persie. Olivier Giroud has already been brought in this summer and is similar in style to Llorente. A more complementary option may the more versatile and nimble Stevan Jovetic.
Arsenal have been linked to the Fiorentina forward this summer, with there thought to be a strong chance of the Montenegrin leaving the Viola before the start of the new campaign.
Atletico Madrid's Adrian Lopez would also offer a similar versatility in attack to Jovetic. The Spain international impressed for Atletico last season, scoring 10 goals to help his side to the Europa League crown. This summer he has been linked with a potential move to the Gunners as well as rivals Tottenham.
However, Atleti have stated they have yet to receive any inquiries for the forward.
Adrian is an Atletico player for the next four years and nobody has called to ask about him, club president Enrique Cerezo said, according to Sky Sports.
Nobody has called him or the club.
You would have to ask those that are talking about him because it appears that they know a lot more.
The Gunners have also been linked with a move for Brazilian Paulo Henrique Ganso. The Daily Mirror reports that Wenger is sending scouts to watch the 22-year-old in action in the pre-Olympic friendly between Brazil and England at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium on Friday.
If this proves to be true then the scouts may have very little to report about Ganso. Once seen as a key component of the Brazil side for years to come, the Santos attacking midfielder has fallen from grace in the past year. In the Olympics, Chelsea-bound Oscar is widely expected to be handed the coveted No.10 role.
Having also fallen out with his club side, a move within Brazil, potentially to replace Oscar at Internacional, looks more likely as he looks to get his career back on track.