Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has revealed that he cannot rule out a move for Thiago Silva, although a transfer is highly unlikely because of Paris Saint-Germain’s reluctance to sell and the central defender’s high salary. The Brazil international was pursued by the Catalans last summer, but had already committed himself to a move to Paris. But, with their continued defensive problems, Barcelona have reignited their interest in the former Milan man.
Thiago Silva’s agent has stated that the player will not be moving this summer and Rosell concedes that a move is difficult. “Anything in life can happen, but, knowing that Paris Saint-Germain does not want to negotiate, it is almost impossible,” he said, according to Barcelona-based daily Sport. “With Thiago Silva we have not made any bid, because his salary is very high and it could upset the balance in the locker room.”
Rosell was speaking at a press conference on Thursday, where he also revealed that he expects Victor Valdes to see out the remaining year of his contract. "The agent told [sporting director] Andoni Zubizarreta that Valdes was intended to fulfill his contract, so I will be with us for another year,” he said, according to Mundo Deportivo.
Yet, Rosell did not quash the idea of signing another goalkeeper and the club has been linked with Inter Milan’s Samir Handanovic. The former Udinese stopper enjoyed a fine first season at the San Siro to confirm his reputation as one of Europe’s top goalkeepers. Italian publication Gazzetta dello Sport claims that Barcelona are so impressed that they have offered €23 million. Inter, however, rejected the bid. “Handanovic to Barcelona? No, Handanovic remains with us,” Inter president Massimo Moratti said.
Meanwhile, the British press are claiming that Barcelona are pursuing an unlikely transfer target in Fernando Torres. The 29-year-old, who has failed to live up to his £50 million price tag at Chelsea, will be the subject of a £17 million offer from the Blaugrana, reports the Sun. Given his struggles for Chelsea and Spain, and even at a far less price than what Chelsea paid for him two-and-a-half years ago, it is difficult to envisage Barcelona believing that Torres represents value for money.
A likelier target is Borussia Dortmund’s Robert Lewandowski, and ESPN believes that Barcelona are the latest club to express an interest in the Poland striker. Lewandowski’s desired move to Bayern Munich is being blocked by Dortmund, who are refusing to allow another of their star names to join their bitter rivals.
While the 24-year-old is adamant that he has an agreement that he can join the Bavarians, the door could now be open for other suitors. Lewandowski has just a year remaining on his contract, meaning that he would walk away for nothing next summer. And that could mean other interested parties like Manchester United, Real Madrid and now Barcelona could swoop in.
Having already signed Neymar this summer, another forward would not appear to be a priority for Barcelona. Although, a center-forward in the mold of Lewandowski would certainly give Barcelona another option up front of the like they have not had since the brief stay of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.