A Massachusetts judge ruled Friday that a defamation lawsuit against Bill Cosby by three women can move forward, despite the comedian’s attempts to dismiss the case. The three women are among over 40 others who have accused Cosby of sexually assault decades ago.
The women reportedly claimed in their lawsuit that Cosby’s representatives "public branded" them liars denying their allegations in sometimes disparaging language. However, Cosby’s lawyers reportedly claimed that the remarks were personal opinions protected by the First Amendment and legal declarations made in the comedian’s defense.
"It does not take a speculative leap for the court to conclude Defendant would be personally involved in reviewing these types of allegations against him, crafting or approving the responsive statements, and directing the dissemination," U.S. District Judge Mark Mastroianni, reportedly said in his ruling, adding that Cosby is liable for the remarks made by his representatives.
Earlier this year, Tamara Green, Linda Joy Traitz and Therese Serignese filed suit against Cosby alleging he defamed them in interviews that his representatives did that "impugned" their reputations and subjected them to "public contempt, ridicule, aversion or disgrace."
Joseph Cammarata, an attorney who represents the three women, reportedly said that they "expected and hoped, the judge rejected every one of Mr. Cosby's attempts to throw the case out of court and allowed the case to proceed."
"We will take Mr. Cosby's deposition at the earliest possible moment. My clients look forward to moving the case forward and to restoring their good names and reputations," Cammarata said, according to the Associated Press.
Last week, the Los Angeles District Attorney's office said it was reviewing the investigations into a possible criminal case against Cosby.