Canelo Alvarez picked up a third-round knockout over James Kirkland on May 9 in one of the most exciting boxing matches of 2015, and now he’s looking for his next fight. While a few of his potential opponents have bouts of their own coming up, Alvarez has a few prominent middleweight fighters in his sights.
Miguel Cotto appears to be the leading candidate to face the 24-year-old. The two boxers almost agreed to fight earlier this year, but Alvarez moved on when Cotto did not meet a deadline. But following Alvarez’s latest win, Cotto has confirmed reports that the two boxers have an unofficial agreement to meet in the ring before the start of 2016.
"I'm coming into my fight. I will do the job that Freddie Roach has designed in my training camp," Cotto said via BoxingScene. "But whatever HBO has thought out, whatever Oscar De La Hoya or Saul Alvarez has thought out, I don't care about that. Facing James Kirkland or Erislandy Lara is not the same as facing Miguel Cotto."
Cotto still has to take care of his next opponent on June 6. He’s set to face Daniel Geale, against whom he is a heavy favorite. Should Cotto earn a convincing victory, talks between his camp and Alvarez's camp are expected to heat up. Alvarez has strong support from Mexican boxing fans, while Puerto Rican fans have flocked to Cotto fights, which could mean a very lucrative purse.
Gennady Golovkin is also a possible upcoming opponent for Alvarez. “GGG” is 32-0 in his career, having won 19 consecutive fights by knockout. He’ll face Willie Monroe Jr. on Saturday, and it would be one of the biggest upsets in recent memory if the hard-punching Kazakh were to lose. After the Monroe Jr. bout, Golovkin will likely seek a top contender.
On Monday, Golovkin threw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Miami Marlins and Los Angeles Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium. After stepping off the mound, the 33-year-old told reporters that he was very much interested in taking on Alvarez.
"This is biggest deal for us, like, biggest fight for us, and I think a great fight for fans,” Golovkin said.
But fans might have to wait to see that fight. Golovkin said May 2016 would be the most likely date for him to face Alvarez, perhaps on the weekend of Cinco de Mayo. While Floyd Mayweather’s fights have highlighted the Saturday before Cinco de Mayo in the past few years, the world’s top pound-for-pound boxer has stated his plans to retire after his fight later this year.
Last year, Freddie Roach said a fight between Manny Pacquiao and Alvarez would be possible. The two boxers have both shown a willingness to brawl when given the opportunity. But a fight won't happen until 2016 because of Pacquiao’s recent shoulder surgery. Pacquiao, who turns 37 in December, could also still sign on for a rematch with Mayweather, considering the first fight set numerous financial records.
Other than Mayweather and Pacquiao, Alvarez might be boxing’s biggest draw. His fight with Kirkland was seen by an average of more than 2.1 million viewers on HBO, marking the network’s highest boxing ratings since 2006.