Free agent NBA superstar Carmelo Anthony has yet to officially announce where he will play next season, but a new report suggests that he plans to return to the Big Apple.
A source close to Anthony told Frank Isola of the New York Daily News that, barring a last-minute change, the 30-year-old forward will announce that he will re-sign with the New York Knicks. “He will have something for everybody on Thursday,” the source said. “He is really torn because this is the biggest decision of his career. But he wants to get it done in New York. He told me he believes in Phil.”
If the report is true, Anthony will reveal his decision on Thursday, when the NBA lifts its moratorium on player signings. The Knicks have reportedly offered Anthony a five-year max contract worth $129 million.
Neither the Knicks nor Anthony has confirmed or denied the report. However, Leon Rose, Anthony’s agent, told ESPN that his client “hasn’t made a decision yet” as of Wednesday afternoon.
The Knicks expressed confidence that Anthony would re-sign, citing a belief that he would buy into team president Phil Jackson’s vision for the team’s future. New York expected to receive Anthony’s decision by Monday, but his continued hesitance prompted concerns that he would wait for fellow free agent LeBron James to sign a deal before declaring his intentions.
The Los Angeles Lakers made a strong pitch to Anthony last week and appear to be the Knicks’ primary competitor in the battle to acquire his services. The Chicago Bulls are also considered a contender.