Former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn may be freed on bail six weeks after being arrested on charges of sexual assault, the New York Times reported Thursday evening.
According to the paper, the hotel maid who accused Strauss-Kahn of assaulting her in a hotel room has lied on multiple occasions. Despite forensic evidence indicating that there had been a sexual encounter between the French politician and the maid, the prosecution's case may be in jeopardy.
The New York Times also reported that prosecutors met with Strauss-Kahn's lawyers on Thursday and discussed the possibility of dropping the felony charges.
Strauss-Kahn's defense attorney, Benjamin Brafman, said earlier on Thursday that their client would go back to court in New York on Friday at 11:30 a.m. (1530 GMT) before Judge Michael Obus to seek changes to his bail conditions.
Strauss-Kahn, 62, had been a leading candidate for the French presidency when he was arrested on May 14. He resigned from the IMF on May 19 and pleaded not guilty on June 6, vehemently denying the allegations.
The paper said that prosecutors had discovered that the woman, a 32-year-old Guinean, had had a phone conversation with an incarcerated man within a day of her encounter with Strauss-Kahn in which she discussed the possible benefits of pursuing the charges against him. The conversation was recorded.
It added that the man, who had been arrested on charges of possessing 400 pounds (181.5 kg) of marijuana, was among a number of individuals who had made multiple cash deposits, totaling around $100,000, into the woman's bank account over the last two years.
Strauss-Khan was released on $1 million cash bail and a $5 million bond, and is under house arrest in a townhouse in the Tribeca neighborhood of Manhattan, where he is equipped with an electronic monitoring device and under the 24-hour watch of armed guards.
He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
Reuters contributed to this article.