The incomparable Celine Dion has cancelled her Las Vegas show at Caesars Palace for six to eight weeks on account of a virus infection in her throat. The singers says the virus is causing inflammation of her vocal cords and has been ordered by a doctor to halt further performances.

She'll resume performances on June 9, if all goes as planned.

I tried to sing at my sound check last week, and I had no control of my voice whatsoever, Dion said in a statement. We thought that after a few days' rest I would improve, but it wasn't getting any better.

Last weekend, Dion canceled shows through March 3. This Monday, the singer was diagnosed with the viral illness from an authority in laryngeal physiology at USCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles according to the Associated Press.

Caesars Palace reportedly spent $95 million building the Colosseum for Dion in 2003. Part of that large chunk-of-change went toward a humidifier to protect her voice. Despite everyone's best efforts, it seems that Dion's grueling gig has become far too taxing on the pop icon's vocal cords.