Charlie Hunnam was cast as Christian Grey in the film adaptation of “Fifty Shades of Grey,” the best-selling series written by E.L. James. The author took to her Twitter account Monday to announce that he had won the role, but many “Grey” fans were left wondering about Hunnam.
When compared to fan favorites for the role like Ian Somerhalder, Henry Cavill and Matt Bomer, Hunnam is lesser known. The “love story with a kink” will be hitting theaters in less than a year, on Aug. 1, 2014, so check out the following facts about the star to help get more acquainted with the new Mr. Grey:
1. Hunnam is a 33-year-old actor from Newcastle, England, according to the Internet Movie Database. He was born on April 10, 1980 and his full name is Charles Matthew Hunnam. He’s been living in the U.S. permanently since 2004.
2. He’s best known for appearing in 2003’s “Pacific Rim,” 2006’s “Children of Men,” 2005’s “Green Street Hooligans” and his recurring role on FX's" Sons of Anarchy" since 2008.
3. He’s been married and divorced. After just a few weeks of dating he wed Katherine Towne, whom he met on a casting set for "Dawson’s Creek." The two split up for good in 2002. In 2007 he started dating jewelry designer Morgana McNeilis and recently moved to a ranch outside of Hollywood.
Continue Reading Below
4. He credits a tough childhood for his discipline as an actor. He was bullied after his mother remarried and moved their family to a new town, he said, according to lilithofsherwood.com.
5. Hunnam was voted to ninth place in “Elle Girls'” top 100 sexiest men in 2005.
Do you think Hunnam will make a good Christian Grey?