UPDATE: 2:21 a.m. EDT — People protesting the fatal shooting of black man Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, North Carolina, have blocked Interstate 85, and have started lighting fires on the highway halting the traffic. The protests spilled onto early Wednesday after Scott, who police said was armed, was fatally shot at an apartment complex in the city.

Original story:

Protesters in Charlotte, North Carolina, have taken to streets against the fatal shooting of a black man by a local police officer Tuesday. The officer involved is also black and the shooting took place when the police were looking for a suspect (not the man who was shot) with an outstanding warrant at an apartment complex, local authorities said.

The incident occurred just before 4 p.m. EDT when police saw the victim — identified as 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott — inside a car, police department spokesman Keith Trietley said in a statement. Officers saw him exit the car carrying a gun and get back in again, Trietley said. The man got out of the car with the gun a second time, when officers considered him to be a threat, following which at least one of them fired their weapon, according to the spokesman.

Scott was rushed to Carolinas Medical Center where he was declared dead. The officer who shot Scott has been identified as Brentley Vinson and he has been placed on administrative leave. He had been working with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department for two years.

The incident triggered protests in the city, with several people chanting “black lives matter” and “stop killing us.”

The police department’s Twitter feed said 12 officers were injured during the protests. One of the officers was hit by a rock on his face.

The shooting comes within a week of another officer-involved fatal shooting of black man in Tulsa, Oklahoma, last Friday. Betty Shelby said she shot Terence Crutcher, an unarmed man, when he reached into his car through a window instead of following orders to show his hands. But the family’s attorney Damario Solomon-Simmons said that video evidence showed that the window was rolled up, and refuted Shelby’s claims. Shelby has been placed on administrative leave since.