Chelsea may make one final splash in the transfer market before the window closes on Friday, with reports claiming that singing a striker remains a priority.
The Blues have already spent around £80 million this summer, mainly on attacking talent like Eden Hazard, Oscar, Marko Marin and Victor Moses. However, Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo is believed to be concerned that there is a lack of cover up front with Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge the only established strikers at his disposal.
Chelsea have been linked with Edinson Cavani for much of the summer and Metro claims that they may make a late move for the Uruguayan, if Liverpool follow-up their reported interest in Sturridge. Metro reports that a deal could happen, despite Cavani being in negotiations for a new contract, which they believe will reduce his buyout clause to £30 million.
According to a report in La Gazzetta dello Sport earlier in the week, Cavani's release clause was to be set at €55 million (£43.6m). Napoli manager Walter Mazzarri also said after Cavani scored in the 3-0 victory over Palermo on Sunday that he can "guarantee" that the 25-year-old would be remaining in Naples.
It also appears that Chelsea will be priced out of a move for another of their forward targets, Hulk. Although the Porto star has flourished mainly as a right-sided forward, the Blues have been linked with a move for the Brazilian for much of the summer.
Just this week, Porto's press officer claimed that there were still offers on the table for the 26-year-old.
"There are three proposals from abroad--two English clubs and Zenit [St Petersburg]--there are talks with the player and with Porto," Ahaz Felleger said, according to Metro.
Porto are believed to be stubbornly and somewhat bizarrely holding out for the €100 million (£79m) release clause in Hulk's contract.
Zenit have been in negotiations to sign Hulk in recent days, but despite claiming that they had withdrawn their offer, Porto have stated that they rejected a bid from the Russian club.
"It was Porto who rejected €50million for Hulk from Zenit," Porto president Pinto da Costa said, according to Sky Sports.
"I think it is ridiculous to hear that Zenit's board did not sanction such an offer, when two of their chiefs were here to present that exact bid for the player."
With moves for Cavani and Hulk appearing difficult, Chelsea are believed to be considering an improved offer for Bayer Leverkusen forward Andre Schurrle. The Blues are believed to have had a £16 million offer rejected earlier in the summer, but the Guardian reports that they could up that bid before Friday's transfer deadline.
Although Schurrle has been deployed mainly on the left of a front line, he has also played as a central striker. The 21-year-old is rated as one of the top young prospects in Germany and appeared for his country at Euro 2012.
Chelsea may also look to strengthen the center of their midfield before Friday. With just John Mikel Obi and the injury-ravaged Michael Essien as options as a holding midfielder, the Blues have been linked with a move for Newcastle's Cheick Tiote.
However, a deal for the 26-year-old looks unlikely. ESPN sources claim that the £20-million-rated Ivorian is keen to stay at Newcastle.