Chelsea target Radamel Falcao will not be leaving Atletico Madrid in January, but the situation could change come the end of the season, according to the Spanish club. The prolific striker is thought to be topping Chelsea’s wish list and a potential move had even been mooted in January.
As with all players in Spain, the Colombian has a release clause inserted into his contract. While this is often a largely academic sum, Falcao’s €60 million (£48.3m) clause may tempt potential suitors, such has been the former Porto man’s stunning form.
"€60 million for Falcao would solve all the economic problems at Atletico," general manager Gil Marin said, according to Sky Sports.
"I can say for sure, though, that he will stay with us until the end of the season. Not only will he stay, but so will all the players that the coach wants to stay.
"We will fight to perform a miracle which is what we are doing with what we have available.
"In Europe there are 50 clubs with more income than we have. If we were to sell Falcao for €60 million then that would cover our debts."
The speculation linking Falcao with a move to Chelsea increased after he scored a stunning first-half hat-trick against the Blues in the UEFA Super Cup back in August. However, Manchester City and Atletico’s local rivals Real Madrid have also been mentioned as a potential destination.
“If Atletico do not qualify for the Champions League or cannot afford to meet his wage demands then I do not think that Real Madrid could afford him either," Marin added.
"We have to do impossible things and take risks so that the fans can have the team that they want. It is difficult to maintain."
Chelsea may also be looking to reignite their interest in another striker with whom they were linked in the summer. French publication Le 10 Sport has reported that a representative from the Blues was in attendance to watch Marseille forward Loic Remy in action against Paris Saint-Germain on Sunday.
The France international was said to have been the subject of a £15 million bid from Chelsea in the closing stages of the summer transfer window.
A third high-profile target may also have emerged with the Daily Mirror linking Chelsea with a swoop for Roma captain Daniele De Rossi. The Italy international turned down a move to Manchester City in the summer as restated his commitment to the Serie A club, however since then reports in Italy suggest that he has not seen eye to eye with mercurial new manager Zdenek Zeman.
On Sunday, the 29-year-old midfield general found himself left out of the side that took on Atalanta. The Mirror now claims that City could come back in for the player, while Chelsea may also reignite their long-standing interest. His reported £20 million asking price and high wages may prove a stumbling block, however.
In other news, Chelsea scouts are also said to have been busy watching Ghanaian striker Waris Majeed in action for Swedish side BK Hacken against Syrianska over the weekend, according to the Daily Mail. The 21-year-old is likely to have impressed representatives from Chelsea, as well as those from Everton and Porto, as he scored a hat-trick to take his prolific record this season to 22 goals in 25 games.