The future of Chelsea target Fredy Guarin remains uncertain, with Internazionale claiming that they have ended discussions with the Blues, despite his agent stating that the player remains in limbo.
The Colombian midfielder has been heavily linked with Chelsea in recent weeks, with Jose Mourinho believed to be keen to bolster an area of his squad that remains a weakness. Speaking on Monday, Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio confirmed there had been an approach from Chelsea, but that they had resolved to keep the player who arrived from Porto in 2012.
“Guarin is an Inter player and we are happy to keep him," he told Sky Sport Italia. "Denying the contacts with Chelsea would be denying the evidence. It is a source of pride to talk with them about one of our players, but everything stopped there.
"We are happy Guarin could stay with us for a long time. We don't have the intention to sell him. He's an important player."
However, Guarin’s agent, Marcelo Ferreyra has denied reports that his client’s demands prevented a move to Stamford Bridge and heavily hinted that he wants the 27-year-old to be handed an improved contract if he is to remain with the Nerazzurri.
“We have never got offers from Chelsea,” he told FCInterNews. “We are happy at Inter, even if we don't know what [new club president] Erick Thohir's intentions are. It's time that Thohir, [coach, Walter] Mazzarri and Inter's leadership decide what to do with Fredy.
“We want to know what the president thinks about my client, because if he considers him the best player of the team he must be valued like this,” he added.
Another clear weakness in Mourinho’s squad is up front, where Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba have struggled for goals this season. While Mourinho has stated he will not bring in a new striker in January, rumors have continued to link Chelsea with a move for Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa. Yet, what always looked an unlikely switch this month has now been shut down by Atletico’s sporting director Jose Luis Caminero.
"The player has a clause of 38 million euros and the big clubs in England know this," he is quoted as saying by Marca, according to Sky Sports.
"Diego Costa has matured and is smart when it comes to decision making.
“Right now, Costa does not think of leaving, he is hooked on Atletico. He has re-signed a deal that is important, I am confident he will continue with us."
There has also been renewed speculation about the man Chelsea chased to fill their attacking void last summer, Wayne Rooney. The Blues failed with their attempts to prize the England international away from Old Trafford in the last transfer window, but with Rooney yet to sign an extension to a contract that expires in 18 months’ time, his long-term future remains uncertain.
The Daily Mail has claimed that talks over a new deal will take place this month, with Chelsea eagerly monitoring the situation and ready to launch a £30 million bid.
There were rumors that Rooney might move to Stamford Bridge in the summer as part of a swap deal that took Juan Mata in the opposite direction. While the Spaniard is unlikely to be allowed to join a Premier League rival, speculation continues to link the Spaniard with a move away after his struggles for game time under Mourinho.
The latest story comes from the Daily Mirror, which asserts that Mata’s father and agent, Juan senior, will hold talks with Chelsea’s hierarchy this week, with Atletico Madrid weighing up a loan move with a view to a permanent deal.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.