Chelsea may have already added to their Champions League winning squad with the £32 million purchase of Eden Hazard to go along with the signing of Marko Marin, but there is no sign of Roman Abramovich putting his check book away any time soon.
It was thought that Hulk would be the next big money signing, but so far no deal has yet been agreed with Porto. This could be because of the Portuguese club's hard negotiating stance over a fee, or it may be that newly installed permanent manager Roberto Di Matteo is not as keen on the Brazilian as some members of the Chelsea's hierarchy.
Given the way players have been pushed on mangers before--Fernando Torres and Andriy Shevchenko to name but two--it is the former scenario that seems the more probable.
If the two clubs can reach an agreement then personal terms are unlikely to prove too much of a stumbling block, with Hulk admitting he is keen on a move to Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea are the current European champions and would please any player and I'm no exception, Hulk told O Jogo. I'd be happy if the transfer happened.
It appears unlikely that the versatile forward will make efforts to force through a transfer, however.
I leave everything in the hands of Porto.
I am under contract and I have been happy at Porto for four years, where I have achieved everything.
I'll have the club in my heart no matter what happens this summer or in any other summer.
If Chelsea does not believe they can get value for money with Hulk then it appears they could be looking closer to home for a potential alternative.
Goal.com carries quotes from Wigan chairman Dave Whelan in which he says that Chelsea has made an offer for winger Victor Moses. The 21-year-old was hugely influential in the Latics' survival last season and, with just a year remaining on his contract, has been linked with a move away this summer.
But Whelan has defiantly stated that he will not allow the club to be taken advantage of because of Moses' contract predicament.
Number one, they have made an offer, and number two, they have not made a big enough offer, Whelan said.
Whelan went onto confirm that Chelsea's bid was less than £4 million, far less than the £10 million Wigan is reportedly seeking for arguably their leading star.
I have said to Chelsea 'Thank you for your offer but no'. What they are offering is not enough. I have not put a price-tag on Victor. But let's say that what Chelsea have offered is a lot less than 4 million pounds. That is absolutely stupid.
There has also been further speculation about another versatile attacker linked with a move to Chelsea, Stevan Jovetic. Italian reports have suggested that Chelsea had offered £20 million for the Fiorentina star, but the Serie A club has denied such claims.
Absolutely not, it's not true, Fiorentina sporting director, Daniele Prade told Radio 1. We do not know anything about an offer from Chelsea or any other team, Italian or otherwise.
We are waiting for the lad to return on July 1 and we will see what he has to say to us. But the rest is just gossip.
There has also been talk of a big name exiting Stamford Bridge this summer, with the Mirror reporting that Juventus have launched a bit of £24 million for Fernando Torres. But, with Didier Drogba having already departed, it is unlikely that Chelsea will dispense with Torres just yet.
Though the striker has failed to live up to anything near his £50 million price tag, there were encouraging signs as Torres netted a brace for Spain against Ireland in Euro 2012. And the suggestions from the Chelsea hierarchy are that the 28-year-old will be given yet more time to rediscover his former glories.