Former Colombian Interior Minister Fernando Londono narrowly survived a car bomb blast in Bogota that claimed the lives of at least two bodyguards on Wednesday.

It was unclear who was responsible for the attack, but President Juan Manuel Santos said Londono was the likely target, in a television address. Londono had received death threats in the past and had been a harsh critic of the rebel group the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, more commonly known by the acronym FARC. 

I want to condemn in the most energetic manner this assassination attempt, Mr. Santos said. We will not be intimidated by terrorism. Just the opposite; it fills us with the courage to continue forward. 

The grim scene produced some shocking images, including one of Londono being led away shortly after the explosion. Doctors later extracted glass shards from Londono's chest.