Law enforcement officials in Colorado say the suspect in Friday's Aurora, Colo., shooting, James Holmes, used the following weapons: a tear gas canister, an AK-type assault rifle, a shotgun and two other handguns, including one that was dropped in the movie theater.
The latest shootout will likely spur another national debate on gun laws, but according to Gallup, public opinion is pretty much on the side of liberal gun ownership laws -- and that doesn't mean liberal in the political, tree-hugging sense of the word.
Here is a summary of the gun laws in the Colorado Revised Statutes.
* Gun registration is not required.
* Gun permits are not required to keep firearms in vehicles.
Continue Reading Below
* As of 2003, it is illegal for any local government or law enforcement agency to enact an ordinance, regulation or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase or possess under state or federal law.
* It is prohibited for law enforcement or local government to build databases of gun buyers or gun owners who leave weapons for repair or sale on consignment; people to transfer gun ownership unless they are federally licensed gun dealers; or serial numbers of guns bought, sold, dropped off for repair or left for sale on consignment.
* There are no laws pertaining to bringing firearms from another state.
* Concealed weapons require a permit. The punishment is a Class 2 misdemeanor and the gun is usually confiscated, unless it's on school property, in which case it's a felony. Concealed carry permits are issued by local sheriff's departments and they require the following: the petitioner be a legal resident of the state, be at least 21, doesn't have a record indicating alcohol or drug abuse, demonstrates competency with a firearm. Local law enforcement retain the right to deny concealed carry permits on reasonable doubt.
* Dealers are required to keep a record of the sale, exchange or rental of firearms, including identities of parties involved and weapons' serial numbers.
Friday morning's shooting in Aurora occurred 13 miles from Littleton, Colo., which is where in April 1999 Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris murdered 13 people in cold blood at Columbine High School. They also wounded 23 before taking their own lives. This was their arsenal in that attack: an Intratec TEC-DC9, a Savage 311 12-gauge double-barrel shotgun (sawed off), a Hi-Point model 995 carbine rifle and a Savage-Springfield 67H 12-gauge pump shotgun that Eric Harris called Arlene, named after a character in the Doom computer game that was popular at the time.