Cory Monteith, ‘Glee’ Actor, Died From A Combination Of 'Intravenous Heroin Use' and Alcohol: Coroner

on October 03 2013 5:11 AM
Cory Monteith
Cory Monteith was found dead in a Vancouver hotel room on July 13. Reuters

“Glee” actor Cory Monteith, who was found dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in Vancouver on July 13, died because of mixed drug toxicity, which involved a combination of intravenous heroin use and alcohol, according to a report issued by the British Columbia Coroners Service on Wednesday.

The report, which concurs with initial findings, stated that the death was accidental and that no foul play was suspected. The autopsy report, too, showed that Monteith suffered from no illness or injuries. The coroner’s report stated that when emergency responders arrived on the scene -- after being alerted by hotel staff when they found Monteith unresponsive in his hotel room -- drug paraphernalia including a spoon with drugs and a used hypodermic needle were found.

Two empty bottles of champagne were also recovered from his room. Monteith was alone at the time of his death.

The report noted that Monteith "had a history of illicit drug use with intermittent periods of rehabilitation and of abstinence from drugs," and this break may have lowered the 31-year-old’s tolerance for substance abuse, resulting in his death.

At the time of his death, Monteith was moderately intoxicated with 0.13 percent of alcohol in his system along with morphine, codeine and 6-monoacetyl morphine, a metabolite of heroin.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the coroner's report comes a week before “Glee,” where Monteith played the role of Finn Hudson opposite girlfriend Lea Michele, is planning to pay tribute to the late actor. The tribute episode is titled “The Quarterback” and is expected to be aired on Oct. 10.

More News from IBT MEDIA