The “Downton Abbey” Season 5 finale just aired, but we’re already thinking about Season 6. The finale didn’t end on a massive cliffhanger. In fact, most storylines were wrapped up, but we already know that Season 6 is on the way, so we thought we’d put together our wish list. Here are six storylines we want to see most next year:
1. Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes’ wedding – “Downton Abbey” fans have waited years for Mr. Carson (Jim Carter) and Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan) to get together. Not only did the two admit their feelings in the finale, but they also got engaged. We can’t wait to see Carson and Mrs. Hughes planning their wedding and adjusting to newlywed life. However, it might not be happily-ever-after for the couple just yet. According to executive producer Gareth Neame, they might not go through with the marriage. “Although with the twists and turns of the events of life in Downton we don’t yet know if they’ll even make it down the aisle,” Neame told Deadline.
2. Mr. Green’s murderer — Viewers know that Bates’ (Brendan Coyle) innocence was proven, and the witness who claimed he saw Anna (Joanne Froggatt) was having doubts. It seems that the police believe they are both innocent – but who killed Mr. Green? The killer is still out there, and we’d like to see his or her identity revealed.
3. Mary gets a boyfriend – Everything about Tony (Tom Cullen) seemed perfect, but Mary (Michelle Dockery) still wasn’t happy. In the finale, she seemed to connect with Henry Talbot (Matthew Goode) and even told him to visit her if he was ever near Downton. While no one can replace the late Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), it would be nice if Mary could finally fall in love again. Even if Henry doesn’t stick around, she could turn to someone like Tom (Allen Leech).
4. Prince Kuragin needs a divorce – Violet (Maggie Smith) had to turn down Igor’s (Rade Sherbedgia) indecent proposal in the Season 5 finale. She revealed that they were once in love and ready to run away, but his wife stopped them. With the Princess (Jane Lapotaire) missing, the 1920s seemed like the perfect time for them to reconnect, but instead, Violet found Princess Kuragin and returned her to Igor. We’d like to see them get a divorce. The Prince and Princess clearly weren’t very happy, and Prince Kuragin appeared to be in love with the Dowager Countess. Let the lady have some romance!
5. Mary learns about Edith’s baby – Mary is now the only member of the family who doesn’t realize that Edith (Laura Carmichael) is a mother. She freely criticized Edith for being too overbearing and worried about Marigold (though she tends to criticize everything Edith does). Everyone, even Robert (Hugh Bonneville) and Violet, has supported Edith. Unlike the rest of the family, we imagine Mary probably won’t take the news of her sister’s illegitimate child very well.
6. Returning characters – In the finale, Rose (Lily James) and Atticus (Matt Barber) were set to leave for New York while Tom was going to take his daughter to Boston. We hope that we haven’t seen the last of these characters. Unfortunately, we may not see Rose next year. Season 6 is currently filming, but James is a bit busy promoting Disney’s “Cinderella." However, Leech is expected to be back. He even revealed on Reddit that he had two scripts for “Downton Abbey” Season 6.
What do you hope to see in “Downton Abbey” Season 6? Sound off in the comments section below!