Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! If the famed children’s book writer were still alive today, he would have turned 111 Monday, March 2.
Dr. Seuss, whose real name was Theodor Seuss Geisel, is best known for books such as “The Cat in the Hat,” “Green Eggs and Ham,” “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and “The Lorax,” to name a few. Many of his writings were turned into cartoon movies and even live-action films that featured comedians such as Mike Myers and Jim Carey.
Above all, Dr. Seuss’ writing produced inspirational and loveable quotes that people still relate to today. To celebrate his birthday, some of his most beloved sayings have been posted below, courtesy of Brainy Quote, Parade and Early Moments.
1. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”
2. “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
3. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
4. “A person's a person, no matter how small.”
5. “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way!”
6. “You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.”
7. “Adults are just outdated children.”
8. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
9. “Oh the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!”
10. “With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.”
11. “You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And you’re the one who’ll decide where to go.”
12. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
13. “You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
14. “If things start happening, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.”
15. “So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that life’s a Great Balancing Act.”
16. “If you never did you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.”
17. “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
18. “Will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”
19. “You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may!”
20. “And turtles, of course… all the turtles are FREE. As turtles and, maybe, ALL creatures should be.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella