Two new cases of Ebola have been reported in Guinea after two weeks with no new confirmed cases of the deadly virus in West Africa, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday. The disease killed over 11,000 people across the region last year.
One case was reported in Forecariah, a town in western Guinea, and appeared to be linked to a previously known case. The other was in the capital Conakry, WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris told a U.N. briefing in Geneva, according to Reuters.
Earlier this month, ten people where quarantined in Nigeria after showing symptoms consistent with Ebola, one year after the country was declared free of the infectious disease. In September, WHO declared Liberia free of the Ebola virus for a second time. The announcement came 42 days after the last confirmed case in the West African nation tested negative in June.
Over 27,860 people in the African countries of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone were affected in the outbreak, which began in 2014 and was based primarily in West Africa.