Radamel Falcao is being chased by Europe’s top clubs, notably, Real Madrid and Chelsea, yet the prolific Colombian striker has said he is not yet even considering his next move.
The 26-year-old has scored 18 goals in 18 La Liga appearances this season and also struck a stunning first-half hat trick in the UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea back in August. But with his club Atletico Madrid currently sitting second in La Liga, it looks all-but certain that Falcao will be staying put at least until the summer.
Falcao's value to Atletico was again seen as they suffered a 3-0 defeat to Atheltic Bilbao on Sunday when he was absent through injury.
While finances could force Atletico to relent to a massive bid at the end of the season, Falcao has said that he is ready to honor his contract, which is set to expire in the summer of 2016.
"I have three years left on my contract with the club and my reality is that this contract ties me down for a few more seasons," Falcao told CNN.
"Afterwards though, I don't know what's going to happen in the future as it's in the hands of the people responsible for deciding the future of the players on Atletico.
"I simply give the best of myself for the team, for this really good season that we're having. We have a lot of objectives/goals in our sight and I hope that we can achieve them."
Even if Atletico resist Falcao’s departure, they will be powerless to do anything if a club matches his €60 million (£51.4m) buyout clause. While such clauses are usually symbolic, such is his scoring prowess that there is more than a possibility that there will be clubs willing to match Falcao’s.
Reports emerged earlier this month that Falcao had met with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez about a move to the Bernabeu. Falcao dismissed the story, while the angry denial from Atletico that their prized asset could move across the city, suggests that they will do everything in their power to ensure that he does not join their fierce rivals.
That would appear to put Chelsea in a strong position. Having signed Demba Ba in the current transfer window, rather than a more expensive option, Chelsea may well be biding their time to replace Fernando Torres with Falcao in the summer.
It has been reported that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich turned down the opportunity to buy Falcao last August, in an effort to give Torres a season as the undisputed first-choice. But with the Spaniard still misfiring, he looks increasingly unlikely to be persevered with beyond this campaign.
Falcao has also suggested he would like to experience a league in another country. He has spoken highly of both Italy and France, with Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain thought to be keen.
However, Juventus appear unlikely to put up the money required to secure the former Porto man. While that wouldn’t be a problem for big-spending PSG, Falcao may have doubts about the level of competition in Ligue 1.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.