FIFA’s Emergency Committee threatened Wednesday to suspend the Nigeria Football Federation from international play if the officials who took control of the organization through an unauthorized election do not resign by Monday. Nigerian official Chris Giwa took power in a contentious election in late August that recognized NFF President Aminu Maigari was unable to attend, the BBC reports.
“The NFF will be suspended with immediate effect should there still be persons claiming to have been elected to NFF positions on 26 August 2014 and occupying their offices on Monday, 8 September 2014 at 08.00 (Central European Time),” FIFA said in a statement released to its website. “The decision follows events linked to the NFF general assembly held on 26 August 2014. While the said general assembly was duly convened by the NFF Executive Committee to adopt a new roadmap leading to the NFF elections, some members proceeded to hold elections in the absence of the NFF President, who was being held by security forces for questioning.”
If the ban comes into effect, the Nigerian national soccer team will be unable to participate in a Sept. 10 qualifying match for the Africa Cup of Nations – an outcome that would result in the Super Eagles’ disqualification. Nigeria is the tournament’s defending champion.
This is the second time that FIFA has warned the NFF to disregard the results of its unrecognized election; the first deadline passed on Sept. 1, Eurosport Asia reports. Previously, FIFA suspended Nigeria in July due to government interference with the NFF’s governing board, the BBC notes.