Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Palestinian civilians to evacuate any area where militants are operating since those places could be attacked, Al-Jazeera reported Sunday. "I call on the inhabitants of Gaza to vacate immediately every site from which Hamas is carrying out terrorist activity. Every one of these places is a target for us," Netanyahu said in public remarks at a cabinet meeting.

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the Israeli prime minister’s warnings were "a clear example of war crimes" against Gaza's civilian population. The caution comes a day after Israel fired a nonexplosive rocket into a 13-story apartment building in Gaza as a warning, Reuters reported. Seventeen people were injured in the building's collapse. Israel said the building was a Hamas command center.

Israel came under deliberate rocket fire from Syria Sunday, Israel News Feed reported.

Earlier in the day, 10 people were injured by flying debris after a cluster of homes was destroyed in an airstrike in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis. No fatalities were reported.

A mother and four children from the same family were killed by another Israeli airstrike Sunday. The missiles reportedly hit a home near Jabalia in northern Gaza. A 1-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy were killed in strikes earlier in the day.

Hamas continued to fire rockets at southern Israel. Of the 117 that were launched, Israel’s Iron Dome system intercepted nine.

Israel and Hamas have been fighting for seven weeks with seemingly no end in sight. Netanyahu’s remarks seemed to reveal attacks against Hamas would intensify, Reuters reported.

"Operation Protective Edge will continue until its aims are achieved. ... It may take time," Netanyahu said in a radio broadcast. "There is not and will not be any immunity for anyone who fires at Israeli citizens, and that is true for every sector and every border.”

Palestinian health officials said 2,115 people, most of them civilians and more than 400 of them children, have been killed in the Gaza Strip since July 8, RTE News reported. Sixty-four Israeli soldiers and four Israeli civilians were killed.

Follow me on twitter @mariamzzarella