Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is ready to face one of the biggest names in boxing, as he searches for an opponent in his next fight. The best fighters in the sport have avoided the knockout artist up to this point, but they might no longer have a choice.
Golovkin improved his career record to 33-0 on Saturday, picking up his 20th consecutive knockout with a sixth-round stoppage of Willie Monroe Jr. In the post-fight interview with HBO's Max Kellerman, Golovkin said he wants to face either Miguel Cotto or Canelo Alvarez. While a few things need to happen to get Golovkin in the ring against either boxer, a fight between GGG and one of the biggest names in the sport appears to be inevitable.
“Not for the future. Right now I’m ready for big fight,” Golovkin said at The Forum in Inglewood, California, on Saturday. “I’m ready for Canelo, for Miguel -- great champions. Guys, I’m ready right now.”
A fight between Alvarez and Cotto in late 2015 appears to be in the cards. Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya has stated his intentions of making the match happen, and Cotto has admitted that he has an unofficial agreement with Alvarez. Cotto will first defend his WBC middleweight title against Daniel Geale on June 6, whom Golovkin knocked out in the third round of their fight last year.
Prior to Golovkin’s win over Monroe Jr., WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said that the WBC champ must put his title on the line against Golovkin. Even if Cotto vs. Alvarez happens in 2015, Golovkin will get the winner.
“Golovkin is our interim-champion and in the event that he is going to come out victorious in this fight, he must face Miguel Cotto for the absolute [WBC] world title of the middleweight division. If a fight between Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez happens, then the winner of this contest would become the one who would go against Golovkin for the world title,” WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman told ESPN Deportes.
Until now, Cotto has done his best to stay out of the ring with Golovkin. Alvarez indicated he was open to the possibility of the fight, following his victory over Kirkland.
Golovkin also talked about a possible fight with Andre Ward, though he acknowledged that a bout with the super middleweight champ might not happen right away. Ward’s last fight came 19 months ago, and he’s set to face Paul Smith on June 20.
While other boxers have been known for avoiding Golovkin, Ward has said it’s Golovkin who won’t get into the ring with him.
"I don't understand how the best boxers in the world can keep making excuses for not fighting me,” Ward said, via ESPN.com in February. “Carl Froch does not want to fight me, it has been impossible to get [Gennady] Golovkin and [Julio Cesar] Chavez in the ring. I'm ready, I would fight them all, but I don't need to go out and start shouting about fights with them."
A big time fight between Golovkin and Alvarez, Cotto or Ward could be in the future, but GGG might need one more bout before then. He could take on Erislandy Lara, who used Saturday as an opportunity to call out the undefeated boxer.
â€” Erislandy Lara (@Laraboxing) May 17, 2015
Lara will defend his WBA light middleweight title against Delvin Rodriguez on June 12. He beat Ishe Smith in a unanimous decision in December, though he lost a split decision to Alvarez five months earlier.