While there are certainly no complaints with the roster of funny women that director Paul Feig chose for his all-female reboot of “Ghostbusters,” some Tinseltown observers were surprised to see one name absent from the list. Emma Stone, once considered a front-runner for the film, is now confessing why she passed on the movie. 

Almost every wish list for the film's casting involved the "Amazing Spider-Man" actress’s name in some way or another. Even Bill Murray, a former ghostbuster himself, told the Toronto Star that he thought she’d be a good choice to breathe new life into the characters.

“I like this girl Linda Cardellini (Mad Men) a lot. And Emma Stone is funny. There are some funny girls out there,” he said. 

According to MTV, Stone responded to the ghostbusting veteran's good words, saying it was a very nice thing for him to say, but she ultimately dodged any questions that would give away her involvement with the film.

Apparently, Murray wasn’t alone in hoping Stone would be on board with the reboot. Speaking to the WSJ Magazine, the actress revealed why she ultimately decided to pass on the project. Spoiler alert: it wasn’t for a lack of quality.

“The script was really funny,” she said. “It just didn’t feel like the right time for me. A franchise is a big commitment -- it’s a whole thing. I think maybe I need a minute before I dive back into that water.”

As far as reasons go, this one seems pretty sound. After all, getting involved in a franchise is a very career-defining task these days that would inevitably take up a good portion of the 26-year-old’s time, as she learned with “The Amazing Spider-Man." Luckily, there’s no shortage of funny women who were able to take Stone’s place. As previously reported, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon will make up the new all-female Ghostbusting quartet when Feig’s movie hits theaters on July 22, 2016. 

Do you think Emma Stone would have been a good fit for "Ghostbusters"? Comment below or tweet your thoughts to @TylerMcCarthy